Sign in to follow this  
revolutionhope

colour change

revolutionhope

i just arrived home after 4 days away and my neos haven't been fed for 6 days. i usually feed every 2 or 3 days at most and they always swarm their dinner whether it is crack, algae wafers, crab cuisine or home-cooked. colour intensity has improved a LOT while I've been gone. can anyone suggest why? would love to know so i can try to keep them looking this good !!! it seems that the worst looking ones have had the biggest improvement. ie some of tthe blue shrimp were noticably greyish/greenish before and now those "culls" are a nice blue. is it because they are eating naturally this whole time? could they just be healthier because they were overeating before? or is it a combination of factors or even something else i haven't thought of? the only other variable i can think of is that they have had only sunlight through the northfacing windows and no artificial light. looking forward to any input as i am tempted to feed less often now as a result but not quite confident without some skf guidance lol :-) love n peace will

fishmosy

My guess would be that the lack of feeding has improved water parameters, so the shrimp look better. Might be a sign that you overfeed 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• kms
      I never feed my babies before, they rely on biofilm.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Splitting it makes more sense as long as you can disconnect or switch off the line that you aren't using when you aren't keeping the BBS! Having said that though, if it is easy enough to do you can probably do it permanently as even adult fish will enjoy chasing any live food? Simon
    • Crabby
      Yeah grabbed some soft drink this arvo, gonna head down to lfs tomorrow and grab some bbs for the time being, will order amazon after for a longer term supply. @jayc should I only need one bottle? And how long should I plan to run it? I only have one air pump and it's on my 5 gal right now. I'll purchase one if need be though, spares are always great to have around. (Post note: Could I just split it from the output of the air pump? I might do that actually.) Cheers
    • sdlTBfanUK
      My betta won't touch frozen or dried daphnia, but gets so excited with live daphnia! As JayC says it must be the natural hunting instinct in them? Ebay and amazon usually sell the brine shrimp eggs, usually with the salt as well. Simon 
    • jayc
      Don't buy one! If you already have an air pump, then you are 90% there equipment wise. Save that money for the BBS eggs. Google "DIY brine shrimp hatchery" and follow creation of one using a 2L soft drink bottle. It should include instructions on how to hatch the eggs too.    The first 2 weeks are critical. If they survive and eat BBS, then you can start introducing other foods.