Warning: Nasty flimsy shelves

fishmosy

Decided to set up a rack a home to house all my shrimp tanks in one place. Found this kit at chain hardware shop.

150kgs per shelf, extra wide, and in black (the shelf has to be black) ... Perfect, right?

P1040340-P50.thumb.jpg.7a797feb9502525c8

WRONG!!!!

It may hold 150 kg per shelf, but not without a massive bend in the frame - meaning none of the tanks sit level. Not only that, the whole frame shakes whenever someone walks near it.

P1040433-P50.thumb.jpg.69a483da432617548

What's wrong with this picture?

Notice the difference in the size of the gap between the top and bottoms of the tanks? This was even after I had chocked the middle of the tanks to try to get them sitting level.

It only got worse when I added new tanks (larger - shown empty below).

P1040609-P50.thumb.jpg.9bca87c4b6403bcae

I even used two mdf shelves as one shelf. Also added the braces from the shelves I wasn't using to try to get the whole structure more rigid. No difference at all. :streaming-mad::streaming-mad::streaming-mad::streaming-mad:

Note also that you can't really have two 2 ft tanks sitting next to each other easily either. Other shelves I've used in the past say 1200 long and mean 1200 between the posts. That's useful. 1200 outside the posts is not useful when you need 4 feet!

Oh and one more thing: The middle shelf has to always go in the middle because it holds the end pillars together - the shelving isn't as 'VERSATILE' as it advertises on the box.  

If you are looking for a steel rack, please learn from my mistake and spend a little extra to get a 'pallet' style of rack. Save yourself the angst.

I'm currently setting up a new rack - 'Rack It' brand which states 750kg per shelf, although the shelves will be only 400 mm wide. Based on the solid construction of the shelving brackets, I'm sure these will do the trick. Fingers crossed!

P1040340-P50.thumb.jpg.7a797feb9502525c8

P1040433-P50.thumb.jpg.69a483da432617548

P1040609-P50.thumb.jpg.9bca87c4b6403bcae

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the warning

im not going to lie, this is exactly how i pictured this racking going when i looked at it.

cheers for the heads up

There is a stronger framing system available from a well know hardware store. Don't know if I,m allowed to mention them by name but it rymes with funnings.......

It is a smaller style similar to actual warehouse racking  and it comes in black. I think it was reasonably priced to.

There is a stronger framing system available from a well know hardware store. Don't know if I,m allowed to mention them by name but it rymes with funnings.......

It is a smaller style similar to actual warehouse racking  and it comes in black. I think it was reasonably priced to.

​I believe that is the 'Rack It' brand.

im not going to lie, this is exactly how i pictured this racking going when i looked at it.

cheers for the heads up

​Yep. I should have looked closer when I bought it.

​I believe that is the 'Rack It' brand.

​Note: The galvanised "Rack It" racks are a fair bit stronger than the black ones.

i nearly got the rack it ones but i found a place that does second hand pallet racking and it worked out cheaper to get a stronger rack

​Note: The galvanised "Rack It" racks are a fair bit stronger than the black ones.

Yes There are two types. I went with the heaviest guage steel. 

i nearly got the rack it ones but i found a place that does second hand pallet racking and it worked out cheaper to get a stronger rack

I really want a black rack as its going in my loungeroom. All the other pallet type racks I've seen are blue, white, orange, ect. 

Hi Fishmosy,

I sure Newbreed used the "rack it" system in his tank journal. He still had a bit of flexing of the beams, so you will need to consider the space between your tanks, and I suggest using 15mm ply, instead of MDF, as it swells. Personally, I prefer making racks from timber.    

Edited by keego
  • Like 1

I don't see an issue naming the chain, we aren't saying the shelves are crap, just that they aren't suitable for tanks due to the flexing and gaps. I'd send them the photo and say hey you may want to pass this onto you QA guy/gal.

Hi Fishmosy,

I sure Newbreed used the "rack it" system in his tank journal. He still had a bit of flexing of the beams, so you will need to consider the space between your tanks, and I suggest using 15mm ply, instead of MDF, as it swells. Personally, I prefer making racks from timber.    

Thanks for the heads up. Will check out the thread. I bought the thickest guage steel from the rack it range, and am using the 1200mm shelves, which aren't the longest in the range. I'm painting the MDF shelves (which are about 12mm thick) which should seal them and stop any swelling. Finally I'll only be putting up to 150kg max on each shelf. If this bends, I dont think any system other than a fully welded box frame wouldn't bend. 

timber is not an option as I want a minimalist frame. Timber would be too chunky  and I've never seen a good final finish when the timber is painted unless you use timber that has been planed (expensive). 

I really want a black rack as its going in my loungeroom. All the other pallet type racks I've seen are blue, white, orange, ect.

​you can just paint pallet racking black, but they are chunky so it might not suit the minimalist look your going for

• Like 1

​you can just paint pallet racking black, but they are chunky so it might not suit the minimalist look your going for

Thats what I was thinking. That, and painting sounded too much like hard work! 

I am in the same situation. New rack in black for living area, last week I ended up going with the black rack-it system after deciding building a timber one was to much work. lol.

I didn't think I would like the metal look. I normally prefer timber but I actually don't mind the look of it, the shelves can be placed at reasonably small intervals giving plenty of flexibility. Seems strong (rated at 750kg per shelf) and no bends for me with two filled 2ft tanks on it (its true 1200 long per self)

Overall I am very happy with it.

• Like 1

I am in the same situation. New rack in black for living area, last week I ended up going with the black rack-it system after deciding building a timber one was to much work. lol.

I didn't think I would like the metal look. I normally prefer timber but I actually don't mind the look of it, the shelves can be placed at reasonably small intervals giving plenty of flexibility. Seems strong (rated at 750kg per shelf) and no bends for me with two filled 2ft tanks on it (its true 1200 long per self)

Overall I am very happy with it.

​Good stuff. I just finished painting my MDF shelves over the weekend so I'll be putting mine up in the next few days hopefully.

Dont Thanks for the heads up. Will check out the thread. I bought the thickest guage steel from the rack it range, and am using the 1200mm shelves, which aren't the longest in the range. I'm painting the MDF shelves (which are about 12mm thick) which should seal them and stop any swelling. Finally I'll only be putting up to 150kg max on each shelf. If this bends, I dont think any system other than a fully welded box frame wouldn't bend. 

timber is not an option as I want a minimalist frame. Timber would be too chunky  and I've never seen a good final finish when the timber is painted unless you use timber that has been planed (expensive)

Hmmm, dont known whats going on here , Its just copy Fishmosy last reply???

Dont forget, you can always copy Dean's idea for his rack (Boss Aquariums) . It looks like he used black coreflute attached to the pallet racking with velcro, for a super neat appearances.