NoGi

SKF Neocaridina davidi Chart

NoGi

This is currently in draft

Continuing on with our series of charts, here is our 3rd installment, this time for cherries. A couple of things to put this chart into context:

• Sticking to regular naming, no marketing/breeder titled shrimp - it's simply adding to the confusion
  • Lineage is included and important for buyers
  • All the other charts out there have mixed grades with colours, it's important to understand that they are 2 different things

This is still in draft so feedback appreciated.

Edited by NoGi

NoGi

Guys, I'd like to get this out of draft soon. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Grubs

I don't play much with non-native shrimp and don't really follow the "scene".... but the hierarchy from cherry -> Painted fire as increasing "grade" makes sense to me as a quest for better colouration.

I find the rilli at the bottom out of place.  rilli shrimp to me are a different variety - Should rilli be in the cluster on the left hand side and not in the grade table?

*shrug*

ineke

The depiction of the Rili isn't very good. Looks more like a crystal so will cause confusion

NoGi

Yeah it's really hard to draw a transparent colour which is why I focused more on the pattern. Any suggestions on what could be done to improve that particular image?

NoGi

@Grubs, Rilli is really a pattern rather than colour which is why I had on the rhs. Technically any of the lhs can have the rilli pattern.

• Like 1

fishmosy

Maybe swapping the white to a really light grey or blue will make the rilli seem more transparent. 

ineke

I think Ben is right light grey or blue might work. 

NoGi

Ok, how's that now.

ineke

It's better but still not very cherry like. I think it may be something to do with the SKF logo drawing the eye - not sure- 

NoGi

It's better but still not very cherry like. I think it may be something to do with the SKF logo drawing the eye - not sure- 

​OK, I'll pass the feedback on to the guy and we'll see what he comes up with.

ineke

It's a hard one Nogi . It needs a bit more red head and tail I think .

NoGi

It's a hard one Nogi . It needs a bit more red head and tail I think .

​How's that now?

Morgan

One option would be faintly colour the background in the grades chart, and then the clear part of the rilli would show that colour, rather than being white at the moment which looks like... white.

fishmosy

Geez thats closer to transparent than I thought you'd ever get. Well done. 

• Like 1

NoGi

One option would be faintly colour the background in the grades chart, and then the clear part of the rilli would show that colour, rather than being white at the moment which looks like... white.

​You sure we are looking at the same shrimp? Maybe because the thumbnail is small. Here is the rilli, I thought it looked fairly transparent now?

rilli.thumb.jpg.5aab4273139b1322f1fc3bdf

Edited by NoGi

ineke

:ok:That's much better . 

buck

that chart looks amazing! and very simple great work!

Morgan

​You sure we are looking at the same shrimp? Maybe because the thumbnail is small. Here is the rilli, I thought it looked fairly transparent now?

Nope, never mind. I opened a bunch of tabs to read and I think by the time I read and replied to this one it had changed. Carry on, nothing to see here. :)

NoGi

Lol all food

NoGi

Draft version 2 of this chart has just been posted to the start of this thread. Also, credit to the source of the information that had been missed in v1 has been included.

Baccus

It is a really good chart, and a lot of effort has gone into it so congrats and round of applause for doing it.

The only trouble I have (and its probably because of my red/ green colour blindness that only stops me from determining subtle colour variations) that I always have trouble with any chart depicting colour where matt colours have been used. Many times I find it easier to actually see a real life picture of the colour in question.

I don't know how hard it would be to do but maybe a link attached to the main colours depicted could bring up a real couple of photos of the shrimp in question. Then hopefully people will see for themselves the clear sections of a Rilli or the clear bodied red of a red wine as aposed to the non clear looking painted. (please correct me if I am wrong on the colour gradings or how they are ranked/ rated/ graded). Maybe photographs will also help people match their grades properly and clear a lot of confusion.  

• Like 1

NoGi

@Baccus, a version with real photos is next on the list.

• Like 1

geraldatwork

I have dozens of Red Cherry babies in my 5 gallon tank.  I have a couple of blue version females that are about to give birth.  It will be interesting down the line what kind of versions I come up with.. Thanks for the chart 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• ErinF
      By ErinF
      Hi! 
      I know this has probably been asked a million times before but my shrimp keep dying and it's truely a mystery and being very new to shrimp keeping I'm hoping someone can help. Sorry this is long, tia! 

I cycled my 21L tank for 2 months with plants (anubias on driftwood and hair grass with some floating rotala) I use Seachem Prime and Stability. 

I tested everything and all was fine (we keep fish so I'm not new to water parameters just shrimp) I put in 3 large natives (pictured) and a pack of 10 glass shrimp I ordered from livefish.

All of the glass died within the week but the natives (transferred over from my housemates tank) are still thriving and have even shed the other week and grew a little. I feed algae wafers every 3 days and Hikari shrimp cuisine every second.

Did a small water change last week (10-15%) and on the weekend put in 2 cherries and 3 glass from an aquarium shop in. One of the cherries is dead and the others except 2 are hiding and I havnt seen them since the first day. 

I've noticed a few detritus worms on my glass, could it be an oxygen issue? Temp is at 23°c same as housemates tank but the aquarium shop didn't seem to have a heater and livefish sent the glass in bags that arrived cold I floated the bags and let a little of my water in for about 40 mins before setting them free.

• cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Different Grades
      Cherry - Clear legs with body covered in a little colour.

Sakura - Legs and bottom half covered in a little colour, top half has more colour coverage.

Fire - Full coverage of colour including the legs. Saddle and eggs on the female still visible under regular lighting.

Painted Fire - Same as Fire except the saddle and eggs on the female only visible under special lighting conditions.

Different Patterns
      Rilli - Solid portions of the shrimp are transparent. The more transparency, the higher the grade.

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Different Grades
      Cherry - Clear legs with body covered in a little colour.

Sakura - Legs and bottom half covered in a little colour, top half has more colour coverage.

Fire - Full coverage of colour including the legs. Saddle and eggs on the female still visible under regular lighting.

Painted Fire - Same as Fire except the saddle and eggs on the female only visible under special lighting conditions.

Different Patterns
      Rilli - Solid portions of the shrimp are transparent. The more transparency, the higher the grade.

View full article
    • NoGi

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear that putting your shrimps with the betta didn't go well. My first betta couldn't have shrimps either as he would go after them. My current betta is ok though, he gets very close and watches them but nothing else? It would be best to have a filter if you can get one small enough, and if it is adjustable have it on low flow because it is a small tank, the shrimps are fine in flowing slow water,! Are you planning to keep them in this tank long-term or is this tank temporary until you decide where to go next with them? It is possible that some may die from injuries/stress/shock etc, but hopefully they will be ok. Simon
    • FancyBubbles
      On Saturday I wanted 8 ghost shrimp for my betta (he's in a 12 gallon). Mostly for extra cleaner, while also expecting the my betta trying to eat them. After one night, he ate out the eyeballs of 3 shrimp while the remaining 5 seemed to be attacked but not too damaging. Currently they're in a 2.5 gallon tank, no filter, gravel as substrate, 1 moss ball, 2 plastic plants, and a small castle for hiding. For food I put one algae wafer (in tank right now) and plan to put pieces of lettuce or cucumber after a couple of days. My question is, do ghost shrimp need filter? I currently have 5 of them in the 2.5 gallon tank. If they do I'm planning on to get a certain sponge filter that's safe for shrimp and small enough to not cause too much current.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Although losing the last killie must have been upsetting, it does now give you a clean working space for getting the parameters sorted and then you can look forward to getting some replacement killie - I love killie, even more than Betta but it is a bit too involved for me so I have avoided it so far! If your guppies are anything like mine (endlers), fin and tail marks will happen a lot and clear up almost as quickly, they are far too curious/nosey and go into every gap, under moss pads, squeeze behind the filters etc and so mine I have put down to them having just gone somewhere that they have got a small tear or caught on something - behind a filter or too close to a mesh pad etc? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for the heads up! I left the tank a month without shrimps even though they 'say' you can safely use  with shrimps immediately. I'm not all that happy with it in all honesty, I would use the JBL pro scape again in future as it just isn't going as well this time and although the plants are showing a bit of growth it all looks a bit drab and brown compared to Bertie (the betta) tank which is so lush and green and gets WOW from most visitors. The JBL required 50% water changes twice a week for the first 2 weeks but that extra work was well worth it for the better end result! Simon
    • Crabclaw
      Thx blue ridge for the advice, currently my problem is with the tds and hardness of the tank. The endler guppy no longer has a problem with her tail, and sadly the rocket killie has passed away. All of the other fish look fine, and I think the reason my killies have had it tough is due to the hardness being way too much for them. As there doesn’t seem to be a disease with them, my main focus is to get the hardness down before I lose my last 2 😢.