NoGi

SKF_ID.thumb.jpg.32a66c91a54e6609414b134

Edited by NoGi
Updated chart
  • Like 2

NoGi

Still a work in progress and I'll update the first post as it updates

northboy

This is a chart to show how shrimp from the Caridina group are identified. As I have banged on about for ever, it is not colour used for the ID of shrimp with the exception on the Crystal and Cherry types that we/ Humans have changed them from there wild forms to improve the colour, there colour is the defining way to ID them and not body features, where as body features are used to ID all wild types of shrimp.

Colour in wild types can vary so greatly, both with in areas and populations, water conditions can have a huge effect of the colour of shrimp populations in the wild, along with many other factors.

There is more information to be placed with this chart, it is to give every one a insight into the ID of shrimp and our native shrimp foremost as colour is  always used to try to ID them and it don't work because of the ability of natives to vary colour.

Bob

• Like 5

NoGi

Chart has been updated based on feedback from the original author.

OzShrimp

Wow thats cool, dont thinki have ever seen anything like that before

Grubs

Just an observation that Figures B and C are not mentioned in the text anywhere and people wont know what it is about them that can be used as significant identifying features.    Fig C seems to be referring to the size of the scaphocerite but I'm not sure what the main point in B is - those spines?

ura

Figs B and C are of the first (antennule) and second antenna. Both are also used for id but I did not want to make the whole id thing too complicated. Admin could not edit out the two figs.

NoGi

Removing the 2 pics made the poster look fairly bare ? if there is some short text I can add to the chart happy to. Just need to know what.

Grubs

Sorry guys - wasnt for a second thinking you'd remove the pics - more just needs a line of text - even if its just to say :"the length of segments and spines on the first and second antennae (figs B and C) are useful characters." (or something to that effect).

all IMO .. grain of salt and all that - its your chart :p

Edited by Grubs

NoGi

All good and I encourage feedback so that we can make this the best we can.

@ura, any comments on a short description we could include?

jayc

Maybe just label fig B  "First Antenna"  and Fig C "Second Antenna"

Most people wont have the equipment to get such a close up of the flagella and protopod, to be able to even see the spines.

You could go up to the point of labelling where the antennule is in the picture.

Edited by jayc

ura

You can add this to the text: The length of the basal segment spine and proportional length of each segment of the first antennular peduncle (Fig. B). The length and width ratio of the scaphocerite (blade) and the proportional length of each segment of the antennal peduncle (Fig. C). Hope it makes sense :)

• Like 1

ura

Oops, the first smiley was meant to be Fig. B.

NoGi

OK, how's that?

ura

That should do. Cheers.

northboy

Thanks for that art work ura, where did you come up with that user name, not wanting to be rude or nosy, are OK nosy then

I think it will serve its reason for being up there, that being, to show every one colour is not the way to ID every thing but Crystal and Cherry types, I use to bang on about the Rostrum because I was not sure on haw to explain the rest and that clears it up. TA

I am glad its you having to look at the new ones and not me, I would be MORE mental than I all read am

Bob

Grubs

I like it.  Its a good reference.

ura

Hi Bob, I knew someone would ask. Ura means shrimp/prawn in another language that I happen to know :)

northboy

Got you, Vince told me and a sticky beak asked LOL

Be good

Bob