Tetra and Fluval Cube aquarium filter safe for shrimp

sonicshrimp

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to keeping shrimp. I have had fresh and saltwater tanks before, but never a tank dedicated just to shrimp. I am wondering about 2 things.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the Tetra LED Cube 3-Gallon Aquarium or the Fluval Spec aquarium series and if these tank filter setups are safe for keeping shrimp and fry? I am wondering if I need to epoxy any mesh or foam over the intake or if it is safe for shrimp fry. If yes, what would you recommend I use and how would I go about attaching the mesh or foam?

2. I am also wondering what types of plants I can keep with the LED light the tanks include. I have heard that some plants need a full specturm LED wheras others are ok with just regular LED's.

Any help anyone can offer would be great.

Thank you. I really appreciate this forum and the help you all are giving to people new to the hobby. I plan on getting a few of these tanks in order to keep different breeds separate.

Hi Sonic,

1) The Fulval spec aquariums, if I recall correctly, have small slits for water intake to the filter. These will have to be covered up with mesh, foam or maybe fine flyscreen material. The choice is yours.

Despite my Googlefu, I can't find a clear picture of the Tetra cube filter. However, adding a mesh or foam prefilter to the intake is a must like any other filter.

Every aquarium filter (that has an impeller) on the market needs a mesh prefilter for shrimp if you want to keep shrimplets from being sucked into the filter.

The tanks are small, so the chance of water parameter fluctuation is high. It's not impossible maintaining a stable environment for shrimp, but you will just need to be more diligent.

An additional external canister filter might also be a good idea. A 2 tray 500-800LPH unit filled with quality bio-media would work well as a supplement filter to the inbuilt unit. 

Can't have too much filtration.

2) the LED lights that come with these tanks are not particularly good for growing healthy plants. However, a shrimp tank only needs mosses. And the lights that come with these tanks will be sufficient for growing moss. If you want to keep more complex stemmed plants, an upgrade of the lights are in order.

Hope this helps.

Just ask if you have more questions.

• Like 2

Hello Jayc,

Thank you very much for your helpful insights. I really think this will help me in setting up the tank. I am planning on having about 4 of these little tanks for different shrimp varieties. Do you know of a canister filter with multiple lines so I can buy one filter for all the tanks? Thanks again!

Do you know of a canister filter with multiple lines so I can buy one filter for all the tanks?

Unfortunately, no. I have not seen of a canister filter that can be split into multiple lines. It doesn't mean you can't DIY such a system.

A sump might be a better solution.

Otherwise the only option is use 4 separate canister filters. It isn't such a bad idea. I use separate canister filters for all my tanks.

• Like 1

Has to be 4 individual canisters or a sump, you can't have one canister connected to 4 different tanks. Assuming you did split the output to 4 equal returns, the intake strainers will block up at different rates. Very quickly you'll see tanks flooding while others run dry. Regulating it would become a messy and expensive situation with flow rate meters and controllers for every line. 

I have seperate canisters on my tanks and i love it even though it adds a bit to each tank setup.

the reason I love having it is because if something goes wrong (like a disease) in one tank then not all my tanks will be affected unlike racks/sump setups. and if I see a problem in one tank then I can take action on the other tanks before they reach the stage of showing symptoms

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! I just got a small cube 7.5 gallon yesterday. I apprecaite all your help!

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! I just got a small cube 7.5 gallon yesterday. I apprecaite all your help!

Pics  :pic: