Can I keep Darwin Algea shrimp in the same tank as CRS?

Eshrimp

Scored some nice Darwin Algea shrimp and some chameleons from a shop that did not know what they had (Oh they are just cherry shrimp---says attendant) but I don't know if I can keep them in my CRS tank?

You most certainly can, the Cherries will eat a few young long nose, but you wont get many long to live any way. They are very similar to the one we have here C. gracilirostris.

Bob

Bob

Agreed with northboy.. they will be fine, I have the same setup before and not a problem. The DAS tho eventually will die off unless you can provide a brackish environment for them to breed too.

I don't want to seam like a smart ass or start a argument, DAS will breed if you can provide some mulm/ dirt = food for the young and hiding places in the tank for the young as well.

Most of the species that need brackish water in the wild for there Laval stage, will go through in fresh if there is food provided. You also wont get many through at first, the good thing about that is you are creating a shrimp that gets easier to breed in captivity by selecting bigger fry that are easier to feed. Then the next thing you know is new colours show up. Much the same as how we have all the different coloured shrimp now.

Bob

I don't want to seam like a smart ass or start a argument' date=' DAS will breed if you can provide some mulm/ dirt = food for the young and hiding places in the tank for the young as well.

Most of the species that need brackish water in the wild for there Laval stage, will go through in fresh if there is food provided. You also wont get many through at first, the good thing about that is you are creating a shrimp that gets easier to breed in captivity by selecting bigger fry that are easier to feed. Then the next thing you know is new colours show up. Much the same as how we have all the different coloured shrimp now.

Bob[/quote']

None perceived and thank you for sharing information. Question tho, have you been able breed DAS successfully by providing some mulm/dirt in fresh water setup? My DAS berrie all the time in the past but I have never seen the shrimplets nor able to keep any (obviously). Keen to know if you have managed to and if so what have you done that I havent done. Always keen to learn!

Not DAS but the one from here C gracilirostris. Not sure if there is a difference in there egg size? the bigger the egg on shrimps the easier they are to breed

I usually produce them in a heavy planted tank or for better numbers a out door pond full of plants.

You can not keep fish in the same tank the fish will eat every shrimplet,

Answer to your question Yes, Mulm in a well aged tank, that way there is the micro flora to feed the shrimplets. You wont get a lot through as they are so small, but you have some of the battle won, getting eggs,

Also by getting some Shrimplets through, when you do and you will, you will be doing selective breeding, you will be keeping the biggest shrimplets alive and that generation will produce bigger fry by your selection. This leads to easier captive breeding, it has worked on every thing we keep (not the size, the ease of breeding). Every thing is harder to breed from the wild but in time becomes easier and more people breed them, we also get new colours.

I hope I have helped and not confused.

Bob

Mmm.. maybe I'll get another batch and give it a go again when I get my rack sorted again. I had a tank with just shrimps that includes C gracilirostris (guessing these are the same as darwin red nose) and DAS both berried, but never able to get shrimplets. Perhaps I need them outdoor pond maybe... the last tank I had was full of plants (guppy grass tend to take over the whole tank) and pre-established tank for at least a year or two...

Thanks for the info bob! :)

DAS and Gracilirostris look the same but the DNA tells otherwise and I have never kept DAS to compare eggs, but a couple of guys on other forums are now breeding both in small numbers, now they are in the know!.

It can be done artificially using hard boiled egg yoke and spirulina.

Bob