Air line system

ineke

• HOF Member

Hubby and I have just finished doing my new airline system using Squiggle's DIY thread. As my tanks are on a horizontal bench- not a rack system - the airline had to run over 3 1/2 metres along 2 walls. We went for the black irrigation hose (12 mm I think it is) -as opposed to the thicker plastic tubing - which is attached to a length of timber fixed to the wall and 4 mm connectors and irrigation hose. Then using a sprinkler system tap which is also 4 mm we attached ordinary airline hose for each filter and connected the pump. To connect the pump we filled the end closest to the pump with silicon with the air line in the middle of the silicon forming a good seal. The further end was just folded over and clamped shut. I have 1 extra tap that is left slightly open to relieve any pressure buildup- again as per Squiggs instructions. We opted to use the irrigation connectors , taps and hose as it was easier to tap holes into the hose instead of drilling into rigid plastic. The 12 mm hose acts as the reservoir for the air and I have spare connectors so I can add more lines if needed.

I am running each side with 2 Schego pumps , which then run 5 tanks one side and 6 tanks on the other. So far it runs extremely well and it is so much easier to get at the individual taps for each filter. It's such a small step but makes the world of difference from having to fish around behind the tanks to get to the control valves and also now running only 2 pumps rather than the 4 I was using. Each tank has 2 sponge filters- a couple have 3-  and there is plenty air left so I'm very happy !

Thanks for the idea Squiggs!

• Like 3

this is awesome thanks for sharing ineke im so glad that you have done this and it worked out well for you! I will have to check out squiggles diy again too as im looking to do something similar atm. I have horizontal tank setups too which I will have a new m2k3 and some smaller old aqua one pumps I already had but currently the setup is so noisy that i will only turn it on if i go away overnight or longer - as backup but I must do it properly when I get time!

love n peace

will

• Like 2

I followed this thread and have around fifteen tanks all running smoothly. It's great that you can easily add new connections whenever you need.

hey newbreed do you have them already setup with the airpumps same as squiggles method or r u planning to do so perhaps?

Already setup about six or so months ago. Works a treat!

I do need to adjust to accomodate new rack but easy enough to do.

Will see if I have some basic pics.

My setup is definitely not glamorous but very effective. Lol

eacd4530ddd069466c847e3f6247e974.jpg

6384c174949357dc3cda52d126b05452.jpg

fcbc727ef8aa3a71d2b02450c7fdf540.jpg

790342c273ae6d1207ae38963ef2f3fd.jpg

• Like 2

• HOF Member

Looking good Jamie! You have heaps of tanks now! I have a wheelie chair too- it's great to scoot from tank to tank. That's why I love my horizontal setup -I don't have to get up and down to see the shrimp they are all on one level!

Edited by ineke
  • Like 1

I also use a wheelie chair lol. go the horizontal ad hoccers!!

• Like 1

Cool set up.

Its glamorous enough... but those many empty tanks along the back need some lovin' too.

My setup is definitely not glamorous but very effective.

• Like 1

True true Grubs! They will be getting more attention soon. Need to adjust airline there, finish shelving and sump.

I was getting despondent at how long I was taking so I occasionally turn the lights on to feel like it's closer to completion. So sad!!

33c9c719062027226167dbd567351a9a.jpg

And the wheelie chair is the best. Again only put this in place after I noticed yours in an earlier post Ineke.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

It all takes time but it will be worth it!

• Like 1