Sump Design Ok?

Anaeflurane

Here is my draw up for my sump on my 2ft tank. Figure why not have a sump on my 2ft to increase the amount of water the system holds :D

Anyway here it is, any CC is welcomed.

sump2.png

Thanks

PS: Airstone will tumble the K1.

Will you have heater in last section just prior to return pump?

Personally I would still consider K1 in first section, then to pads. Just personal preference.

Looks great!!

what is k1?

K1 is a type of media that is used in a moving bed format. It holds good bacteria and during the process of cycling the media the dead bacteria falls off and allows new to grow in its place. It is super efficient and works like a treat!

This is a youtube video showing you the media in a sump.

Will you have heater in last section just prior to return pump?

Personally I would still consider K1 in first section, then to pads. Just personal preference.

Looks great!!

I will be putting the heater in between one of the baffles somewhere more than likely, if not I will chuck it into the last section.

I put the K1 after the pads to clean as much of the crap out of it first.

:)

• Like 1

wow love that k1 stuff it looks extremely effective! so obviously the live bacteria have no problems "hanging on" to the media despite all the intense movement!!

K1 and similar media get a lot of support and a bit of hype here and on other forums. They're interesting and certainly self-cleaning as advertised but very low on surface area to volume ratio. Ordinary sand is a better fluidised bio-media. 

Before the supporters of K1 all crack it with me I'll add that I do have some here, in use and it's perfectly fine. So are plastic drinking straws cut into 1cm lengths, FWIW. Not much difference between the 2. I saw people doing the drinking straw media years ago. They were probably pioneers of borrowing that particular idea from waste treatment, where all our filtration "ideas" come from.