Emersed in a jar

fishmosy

Just a couple of shots of an emerse that I recently set up. Under (blue) LED and (yellow) compact florescent.

post-51-0-17770900-1431086860_thumb.jpg

P1040448_zpsw1beeyme.jpg

post-51-0-17770900-1431086860_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 6

You should put the lid on with Afew little holes (for air) and throw some crickets or something like that in there

Very nice and creative.

Lovely. Would make a great Mother's Day gift.

So are you going to tell us what you have in there exactly you little Pimp?

To be honest I dont really know for certain what the plants are. There is one plant, the main plant on the clump of roots (from a tree), and there is one species of moss along the edge of the glass. both were found on my mums property nearby.

The soil is UP Aqua-Soil.

• Like 1

If I had collected these in the wet forests down here I'd call them Pyrrosia rupestris (main subject) and a Polytrichum type moss like Dawsonia. 

• Like 1

I dont think the moss is Dawsonia. I think I have pics of that in my thread in the Photography subforum.

Rupestris doesnt look quite right but I reckon you could be right in that it could be a member in the family Pyrrosia.

My knowledge of terrestrial plants is pretty limited. Ask me a question about shrimp!

Yeah not a great view of the moss but almost certainly in Polytrichaceae, there's half a dozen odd genera to choose from if not Dawsonia. 

Definitely the fern is a Pyrrosia, maybe confluens then? P. rupestris is the species down here in Melbourne and common right up the east coast to New Guinea. The online pics are all of sterile leaves, the reproductive leaves are longer and much more like yours. 

I do ask you questions about shrimp! You're top of my list for asking questions about technical aquaculture type crap. I've been known to be ok on plant questions. Aquatics are fine but I'm really a terrestrial plant dude first. 

• Like 1

Confluens looks to be right. Much closer match in terms of the shape of the leaves than rupestris.

Well now I know who to ask about plants!

Well Ben, you will have to keep your eyes open tomorrow and the next few days for non wet wonders LOL, there is loads on Harvey creek ( Friday)

Bob