Where to get parts for DIY Filter Guard

Grahms

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has made their own filter guard, so shrimps do not get sucked up in to the filter?

I found the following video on YouTube on the subject:

Has anyone come across a company that sells the Stainless Mesh (around #28) in A4 sheets in Australia (or even better that they are located in Sydney)?

Have to make a filter guard to cover the holes from the following lily pipe intake:

http://www.bossaquaria.com.au/influx-x3-17mm-inflow/

Will be planning to buy the following heat shrink from Super Cheap Auto:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-3-2-6-4mm-Assortment.aspx?pid=120316#Recommendations

Any advice would be great.

Thanks Guys.

The cover needs to be 17 cm's long and 17mm wide, the intake holes on the intake pipe go 17 cm's up the pipe...Haven't seen any commercially made guards that will be this long....

If you have Jaycar in Syd their heatshrink is much cheaper and comes in many sizes.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Grubs. Jayc, I ended up just buying a A5 sheet of #28 from "The Mesh Company", $10 delivered, bargain....I originally thought it might be easier to buy in Oz, but been searching all morning and couldn't find anyone that sells in the sizes The Mesh Company sells at.

Thanks Guys.

"Crap", forgot the exchange rate.....cost me $20....It was 10 pounds....

The cover needs to be 17 cm's long and 17mm wide, the intake holes on the intake pipe go 17 cm's up the pipe...Haven't seen any commercially made guards that will be this long....

Ahh, fair enough. Didn't realise the intake section on the lilly pipes was so long.

Ouch that's expensive :)

I got 500 micron woven mesh at 1535 x 1000 (1.5m x 1m) for $70 here in Adelaide.

Hey Anaeflurane, 500 micron for shrimp? Can your filter suck water thru it? Or you use it for another reason?

Yeah no dramas. After contacting one of the suppliers of the standard stainless steel mesh ones you see on ebay they use 250 micron mesh for their intakes. So 500 should be fine, had no issues with it filtering water in my new 4ft tank as the dividers have circle holes cut in with the mesh inside. I have my intake pipe and one end and my outlet at the other and it sucks water thru no dramas. I also have just made some intakes for my new tank which is running a sump using the same mesh and the water flow was awesome :)

Some pictures to make it easier to understand what I am saying.

newtank1.png

newtank2.png

newtank3.png

intake1.png

Edited by Anaeflurane
  • Like 1

Justo asides the long filter guard and definitely 14cm total length.

Glad you've found a solution. Cheers