Possible solution to shrimplets in sumps!

newbreed

So there have been DIY threads on retrofitting strainers but after recently spending some time with Lodo I can confirm another ready-made solution.

For a while we have had these Pro Mesh Filter guards available. The image below is the long version, 14cm.

db649a4a3f8a0d7c767ec31d2aa520bd.jpg

Lodo has designed a setup great for his tanks. I had the following concept.

Just using the plumbing tape you use to seal threaded joints, you wrap around the open end. Once you've got enough on you can twist it into the female threaded section of your bulkhead. No shrimplets getting through this baby!!

79982f654dd168677eb4889ad3ebbfa8.jpg

0a6626924deea72612f056cbd9517bab.jpg

And the beauty is, due to the length, it has a large surface area open to the water, even if leaves collect on part, there should still be adequate water flow. Oh yeah, it's open on the end too.

9573ff095bd98cac88cf2c53d7c0e31a.jpg

These are available at site sponsors now! At least, I know I stock them! I think Aquakitz too!

Hope this helps! It seems such a simple solution!!

• Like 3

Forgot to mention. This is the 16/22 strainer into a 25mm bulkhead.

The 12/16 strainer will work the same in a 20mm bulkhead!!

Edited by newbreed

Nice write up Jamie. I wish I saw this before building current rack.....it's a great way to solve the problem of Shrimplets riding into the sump...... Will use on the next setup ;)

Can't believe I hadn't seen it before now. I do need to stress, I have not yet tested this option in a running tank. But I do not see where it would not work, they seem to work well on canister inlet without concern.

Any thoughts concerns please post them here!!

Edited by newbreed

Hopefully by the weekend our rack will have some tanks connected to the sump and begin cycling, for shrimp tanks to be added periodically to not overrun the sump.

That's going to be our true test with is.

99.9999% sure no one will get into the sump however

• Like 1

Hey, so i am new to this forum and trying to retrofit my setup for cherries, but i do not want any cross breeding. what size holes are these mesh? I have been looking for a while to get an idea of size of shrimplets but it is hard to get a size of the holes in the mesh that will stop them getting into the sump

I have seen midge mesh and that is around 20/20 

Eg: 14 x 18 mesh has 14 strands per inch in one direction and 18 strands per inch in the opposite direction. 

The higher the number, the tighter the mesh.

then i see the fine mesh from aquasonic which is 0.5mm 

so what size holes do i need to stop shrimplets?

I use 500 micron (0.5mm). Seems to work well. Depending on your setup, you could go smaller to be absolutely certain.

• Like 2