Travelling up to North Queensland (Gladstone) From Sydney

Grahms

Hey Guys,

Well I am planning to drive up to Gladstone around the start of December to see family and want to collect some natives (if I can) along the way, will be travelling from Sydney and will have a kayak (will be doing some kayak fishing up north as well, but for much bigger salt water species).

Will check out the Bellinger River for some Rifles, I have an uncle that lives in the area, what is the best method to catch them?

(Will do some water tests as well, have a TDS and pH pen, Nitrite, Nitrate and ammonia test kits)

Has anyone got any suggestions for places to check along the way? Could I get any Zebra's along the way? If not what others?

Edited by Grahms

That's not north QLD that's central, drive another 16 hours and come up here LOL

Zebs are only up here, you might find a couple of species around there C. indistincta  C.maccullochii.

You are in the start of Croc country though so be on your toes

Bob

Check out the fish too! We caught really lovely striped gudgeons up that way, can be a bit bland but there's lovely colour forms around. You can find a few other gudgeons, pacific blue eyes, crimson spot rainbows and more. Just gotta get a bit wet! 

Gin gin south of there has the yellow fin crimson spots as well, nice fish

• Like 1

Hit me up closer to the date that you are coming up and I'll take you to a couple of spots around Bellingen where there are tonnes of riffles and show you how to catch them. Not to mention mosses, Paratya, gudgeons and much more.

• Like 1

FIELD TRIP !!!!

Don't forget to take lots of photos too.

The water parameter testing will be a great idea for everyone else who is trying to setup a similar biotope for native shrimp.

Will take a tds and ph pen, GH, KH, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia test kits.

measuring ammonia and nitrite is basically a waste of time. These nutrients are rapidly grabbed by organisms in natural habitats and so only appear at low concentrations, generally too low to detect using aquarium gear. The only time you might detect them is if the habitat is polluted or after heavy rain (influx of nutrients). Its unlikely you'll find nitrate either, but sometimes it appears in low concentrations depending on the habitat.

TDS, pH, gH, KH and temperature (just use a thermometer) are all useful.

• Like 1