Lighting overkill?

Sorped

Hello,

I'm mucking about with my first tank and got some temporary lighting setup.

However, for the long run I want something with a better output, as I'm going for a planted tank with Red Cherry Shrimp. My tank is a Buyo 58 litres (stripped and patched for freswater), the area the light has to cover is 32cm long by 37cm wide, and the water depth is 32-33cm.

I was thinking about this:

http://www.minizoo.dk/p/ExoTerra-compact-top-20-lampe#CID=1041

Lamp with socket for Exo Terra terrariums. This can be applied to 20 x 20 x 30 cm and 20 x 20 x 20 cm.

It is possible to insert 1 bulb . Note this lamp should max have a bulb of 26 watts.

with this bulb:

http://www.lite-house.dk/calex-biolight-20w-6500.html?gclid=CJ2WyMr5nMUCFcsLcwodvA4A8Q

NARVATRONIC / CALEX BioLight, full spectrum lamp. The perfect light for plants, work places and where there is generally a lack of daylight,

it is advantageous to use this bulb.

CALEX / NARVA Special "BIO light" has a sun-like light distribution. Thanks to the amazing color reproduction and high color temperature (6500 ° K) it can be used in rooms with very little natural light and light therapy.

Where to use: For lighting of plants and winter gardens. For workplace illumination. For light therapy. At doctors, dentists and dental laboratories. In schools, kindergartens etc.

Technical Information: Short, compact und handy. No flicker and starts up quickly due to warm start. Guaranteed a mean lifetime of 8-12000 hours.

Note that 55W (3900lumen) is equivalent to a 250W incandescent lamp, 85W (6400lumen) is equivalent to a 400W incandescent lamp, and 105W (8100lumen) E40 Giant socket equivalent to a 500W bulb ......

Available in several sizes and wattages, see variations below ............

Further information

Volt 230V

Watt 20W

Headlamp pattern 360 degrees

Socket E27

Color Temperature 6500 Kelvin

Lumen 1,170 Lumen

Equivalent to N / A

Dimmable No

RA Value N / A

Lifespan 8000 Hours

Dimensions 55 x 112 mm Brand Calex

Complaints N / A

I can't quite tell, but it looks like the hood has a hole in the end to take care of the heat - other wise I will make one... It will all be standing on a glass cover plate.

Anyway, will that be too much light for the tank? Or is there no such thing as too much light for a planted aquarium? :thumbsu:

That is alot of light for a tank that is only a foot deep. Are you also going to be running CO2?

You see, I'm not sure. Obviously it's good for the plants, but maybe it seems a bit much for a tank of that size... I dunno, would you? :)

Of course, with that light I would (have to really). From what I could see the bulb is equivalent to roughly 100W T5(?), so that's just under 2W/liter water. Which I just realised is quite a lot, I had it confused with gallons. Then it would have been ok I guess :)

What is the sweetspot? 0.8W/liter?

Edited by Sorped

There is no sweetspot for LEDs like there is for T5s or Halides e.g. 1W per litre. The amount of light put out by a LED is not determined by its wattage, unlike T5s and halides.

Comparisons between the output of LEDs and T5 globes are generally marketing ploys - unless the lights have been measured using a PAR meter under realistic conditions, there is no way to compare output.

What plants are you intending to grow?

I was hoping to be able to choose from these:

Ludwigia palustris

Micranthemum umbrosum

Egeria densa

Sagittaria subulatum

Pogostemon helferi

Cryptocoryne wendtii

Taxiphyllum barbieri

Vesicularia ferrei

You can not have to much light compared to natural sun light, how ever heat could be a issue in summer.

All the plants you have listed there like light and so dose algae

Bob

Hm I hear what you are saying, I just feel a bit limited in choice with regards to the space I'm looking to illuminate. Tubes (T5s & T8s) are too long and MH are too strong. And a replacement lid with new electronics was, last time I looked £149. So if any of you have any ideas or know of a E27 bulb that is more suitable, please feel free to speak up! :bow:

Ah, didn't see anything on that, thank you. Would you say this qualifies as a "high amount" of lighting for the size of aquarium mentioned in the first post? I mean, can I use co2 and get a benefit from it with this light?

Edited by Sorped

Sorted, found something like it, but a bit closer to home. :skydive: