AquaTopia Aura 20L

GotCrabs

So I am now trying to work out what to do with the AquaTopia Aura 20L I have sitting here empty, I'd like to do something with it as I enjoy putting tanks together and creating something worth looking at but am not sure what to do exactly, anyone got any ideas?

Remember, I'm in country South Australia so don't have access to stuff in stores like most of you so most things will be through online stores/eBay/forum members.

So I have a AquaTopia Aura 20L with a AquaTopia 100 internal filter, AquaTopia fluro 9 watt light, Aqua One 25 watt glass heater.

I will go with some substrate though, because I'd like the small tank planted, also no live stock will go in until everything is going well.

How about a cull tank, you will need one after all your other tanks start filling up.

Would really like to do it up, planted and looking nice, something to enjoy I guess.

Something like the attached would be cool! Could use lava rock, moss and hair grass which wouldn't require too much light.

post-1167-0-86696400-1430202056.png

post-1167-0-86696400-1430202056.png

Edited by neo-2FX
  • Like 2

I'm thinking a piece of corkscrew val or two in the left back corner, alternanthera reineckii mini around that, then 2 pieces of malaysian driftwood with anubias nana on it infront of the ARM and then some pieces of blyxa japonica infront of that.

• Like 1

Don't you talk that way about tannins! Seriously though, what's wrong with tannin? Just run a tiny bit of carbon or macropore if you're worried. 

I was thinking something like what neo-2fx showed, but your plan sounds great too. 

• Like 1

Don't you talk that way about tannins! Seriously though, what's wrong with tannin? Just run a tiny bit of carbon or macropore if you're worried. 

I was thinking something like what neo-2fx showed, but your plan sounds great too. 

Of course it sounds great, I came up with it, haha. 

• Like 1

OK, so here is a rough idea of what I'm thinking of doing with the tank, YES, I am aware at how crap my designing skills are, haha.

tankdesign_zpswnwo2yva.png

Black background.

Anubias tied to a stone.

• Like 1

Perhaps if I put the filter on the left side which will be covered by the Val, I'm thinking keep the Blyxa trimmed so the Needle Leaf can be shown more, perhaps plant something back the back of the tank below where the filter is shown in the amazing graphic.

What about substrate? I don't want to use Fluval Shrimp Stratum, I have that in my other tank, would like to use something else.

Also, not sure what livestock I'll have in there, was thinking Chameleon Shrimp, I really like them, anything else perhaps?

Any suggestions on a plant that can go at the back of the tank behind the Anubias on rock/stone?

Also, no CO2 will be used, probably liquid CO2 and ferts.

GotCrabs above design looks good however you're probably losing alot of real estate with the plants "descending" if that makes sense.

The Val may get blown all over the tank with the filter behind it? Not sure, never had it before.

I'm extremely happy with my Cal Aqua BEP Powder. Doesn't cloud the water when disturbed and so easy to plant.

I'm a big fan of DAS atm, great character even though they don't have much colour but Chameleon's would also be nice.

Maybe a stem plant to cover the filter.

CO2 isn't a deal breaker..I'm growing HC Cuba without CO2 no problems..

Edited by neo-2FX
  • Like 1

Also, if I didn't use Needle Leaf Java Fern, what other plant could I use? Something with colour perhaps?

For stem, I love Rotala macrandra 'Green'. Currently in my tank on the right. Can post close up photos if you'd like.

I may be wrong, but most red plants require a bit more attention. I could be wrong.

Yeah the red under the leaf gives a very nice contrast. Send me a PM, I've just done a trim however it grows fast and could hook up you ;)

• Like 1

Yeah that'd be great, thanks.

Here is a pic, I sent it to Neo anyway with some questions, it just gives you an idea of how it's layed out, thing is that the filter sticks out quite a bit so if putting a plant or two in it won't cover the filter, is it better here or on the right?

Will have to go in my room, really have no where else to put it.

IMG_0861_zpsccsvhnou.jpg

Oh, the stuff on the bottom is mineral powder, I like to put a base of mineral powder on the bottom before substrate/gravel goes in.

OK, so mind is made up, I am going to doHemianthus Callitrichoides carpet in the tank, I will place 1 piece of stone/rock in there also and have a couple of pieces of Anubias Nana tied to a stone/rock placed in also.

I've ordered the HC, Anubias Nana, 1 Rock and a bag of Eco Complete.

Been watching the preparing part of the HC online, should I plant it with water in the tank or without? Just have moist substrate?

• Like 1

Might struggle with the 9W light but worth a go.

When I planted the HC i had filed the tank with some water up to the top of the substrate which made it super easy to plant.

• Like 1