Blue mix

Matuva

Hi all,

I have a couple of blue/black diamond shrimps since december last year. The female was berried then lost eggs weeks ago. She seems to have developed a nice saddle, but nothing happens. I wonder if the male is fertile, or even may be if he rather prefers boys than girls!

I also have a small colony of Blue pearl (Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. blue) wich is starting to grow. One of these blue pearl females have already given birth, and the 4 others are berried.

It is said that usually, if you cross different colors, you will more probably get the wild greyish shrimp as a result.

Though, would you think 2 kind of blue would give something still blue?

It's hard to say. But you could try it! May produce a new blue!! :)

Has anyone tried davidi x zhangjiajiensis crosses? If they really are different species of shrimp then it's hard to imagine how the hybrid could revert to a "wild type". Wild type what? 

Yes, I have no idea if these Neocaridina genus are so differents from Davidii/Heteropoda and davidi x zhangjiajiensis species. I bet they will crossbreed. Problem is what kind of offspring will I get.

If the blue doesn't do his job, I will send a Blue pearl male in the tank. Who knows? I give him 2 more weeks...

If I have read and understood correctely, crossbreeding Neocaridinas is more prone to "surprises", rather than interbreeding Caridinas?