Aus shrimp prices vs uk

mr. luke

Just having a look in the for sale section.

Whilst i dont doubt they are great prices for aus, dang.

A few examples

F1 tiwain bee hybrids go for less than $5 aus here

Tangarine tigers $5-10

Crystal red/black a grade + less than $10

Cherrys less than a dollar

Blue bolts, red wines, pandas etc etc under $20

Sulawesi shrimp under $10

Whats the most expensive type of avaliable shrimp you can get?

I feel bad for you guys.....

if you're prepared to bring in sulawesi and risk jail for it then im sure youll get top dollar.

Im not prepared to send sulas to aus as the jail part doesnt sound great haha.

You have the worlds strictest import regulations but imo you also have the worlds greatest natives :)

• Like 1

Prices have come down alot in Aus since the first of each type of shrimp arrived here, and I imagine it will continue to do so as more and more individuals are bred. The challenge is to maintain or improve quality and to preserve the diversity that we now have. I would hate it if (for example) different colour variants of cherries were unavailable in Aus in 10 years time.

Cherries are often less than a dollar each in Aus but the prices on SKF reflect the QUALITY of the shrimp sold. It is very unlikely that the cheap cherries sold at those prices elsewhere are any better than cull grade.

Thanks for the comment on our natives. For me, sulawesi shrimp represent the most colourful and "pretty" shrimp in the world (discovered so far) but Aus natives are probably the most interesting.

• Like 1

It is up to the individuals to bring the prices down, there was a particular post on the sale section than i cant comprehend, trying to sell a caridina shrimp a couple hundred of dollars when this particular shrimp breed easily and you get 20-30 juveniles per berried shrimps doesnt make sense...

The uk prices will go down as the hobby is new there, better quality for your money in France and germany when you know the breeders.

It must be nice to have natives, being able to collect and see the shrimps in their natural habitat is something i wish i could do !

The one thing you have to remember about shrimp in Australia is that they are totally illegal to import & all the shrimp that are here have been imported illegally, hence the high prices. As has already been mentioned, prices have come down incredibly in the last few years. I can still remember when a pair of red cherries were $500, that right, I said a pair of red cherries were $500. It wasn't long ago that pandas were $2k each. All of this is because every single cherry, TB, Crystal, tiger etc has been illegally imported & I have to say that Dean, the former owner of my website, Boss Aquaria, & this forum has had a great deal to do with the fall of the prices & I for one thank him for his efforts in the past. :thumbsu:

• Like 3

Agree 100% with Squiggle. Also need to thank many of the members of this forum for breeding shrimp and passing them on to other keepers at reduced prices or, more often, free. Bluebolts and Squiggle are two that jump to mind, but there are lots of others.

• Like 2

On the open market probably .....pintos?

Who knows what happens elsewhere ;)

The most expensive I have come across to date that I could get my hands on are a pair for PRL's for $800 - $1000. I have to say they are really nice but I could justify it. :startle:

Hopefully one day we can match the prices and quality in the UK.

• Like 1

Oh yeah....prl fetch a very high price..

Not entirely sure why though. I guess for the hard work selecting for generations.

Don't worry guys, a breeding pair of C-SKY certified SS Hinomaru PRL or PBLs still fetch about €1125, which is about $1500AUD. So we aren't the only place in the world where good quality shrimp are still expensive. :thumbsu:

I am amazed at how quickly prices have dropped here in Australia. But that's the way it needs to go if we wish to make the hobby more accessible for more people.

The hard work, general atmosphere and knowledge sharing of this forum and it's brilliant members are the only reason I have been able to keep motivated, and my shrimp sustained, within the hobby.

I look forward to he day we can have Sulawesi for under $10. Lol!! Never hurts to dream!!

Ps. The list of brilliant inspirational Aussie keepers is a long one, but thanks to you all!! :)

• Like 2

So what is the law on shrimp in your country.

Is it a case that its illegal to import but legal to keep if they are bought from within australia?

The only thing we have trouble with in england is crayfish. There is only 1 species that is legal to keep and its effin huge :(

What about shipping natives out of aus? Is that allowed?

I'll preface this by saying that the following are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of SKF or its owner. My statements should be in no way used to determine the legality of shrimp keeping or export/import of shrimp in Aus.

Yes it is definitely illegal to import shrimp to Aus. The law is kind of grey after that. The shrimp arent listed as allowable imports, but aren't listed as prohibited either. It tends to be that if you dont buy (or get caught buying) shrimp from the smugglers, the various state authorities (such as Fisheries) tend to leave hobbyists alone. For example, in NSW I believe it would be difficult for fisheries to prosecute someone for possessing shrimp since they are not listed as prohibited and have been bred in Australia. Indeed I supply CRS and cherries to my LFS on occassion and they recieve visits from Fisheries looking for prohibited plants or fish. There has never been anything raised by them regarding the shrimp. However in some other states, it differs. For example, the fisheries department of Western Australia has confiscated shrimp from aquarium shops and apparently hobbyists in recent years, including Australian native shrimp. It remains unclear to me as to what legal reason WA fisheries were able to confiscate the shrimp, and indeed why shrimp were targeted. Tasmania also has much stricter rules regarding aquarium species and I believe (but could be wrong) that it is illegal to transport shrimp to Tasmania from other states.

As for shipping natives out of Australia, I think it can be done legally after jumping through the right hoops and obtaining the correct permits. I've never looked into it but I know that export of native freshwater fish has occurred on occassion. There are also lots of marine exports from Australia.

• Like 2

Thank you for the detailed reply :)

Our fish bans are absoulbtly set in stone. Certain things are permissable if the seller has a liscence. Others are banned from keeping, import and sales.

Our invertibrete importing restrictions are a little different. I cannot find anything on importing inverts for the aquarium trade. Those destined for human consumption need certification.

Ive very recently applied for a liscence to keep cpo crayfish on the grounds of research, ill see how that goes......

Im interested in buying some aussie natives at some point so im doing my research in the mean time. Awaiting a few email responses from various places explaining the process your end.

Yes we need export permits to send anything live out of the country, native or not. Some people take the risk and send items without export permits and this would usually work out for them unless: 

the shipment is checked before departure, which does sometimes happen, or

the shipment is rejected by customs at the destination, and returned to sender. This is the usual way that people are caught here. 

What kind of research would you do with the crayfish? Are you based at a university or private industry?

Only asking as I've recently finished my PhD and am now working as an RA and hatchery manager.

Im interested in buying some aussie natives at some point so im doing my research in the mean time. Awaiting a few email responses from various places explaining the process your end.

I believe that Aquagreen has exported to various countries in the past, it might be worth contacting Dave and asking about it.

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 1