nano tank advice

revolutionhope

hey what advice or suggestions can people offer about setting up a nano tank?i want it to look as nice as possible but i want to spend $200 maximum on equipment, substrate and hardscape -  i won't need to run a heater as it's only for cherry shrimp and the tank will be inside - i don't think the temperature will drop below 12ish celcius.

if it is decisively better that i buy the tank seperately from the equipment then that is fine but if there is a good prepackaged setup then that would be great, either is fine but the main thing is that it needs to look good!

i want it to be as low maintenance as possible - im going to use inert substrate.if i have a decent measure of KH will this reduce the risk of pH swings in a small tank overnight? (i've got no experience with keeping shrimp in anything less than about 25 litres of water..)

i was thinking of just attaching moss to rocks and not having any driftwood or substrate.

i'm very much looking forward to your tips and advice :-)

love n peace

will

I really like the AquaManta Xanti range of tanks, with the smaller Xanti 26 ideal for your purposes. I have a review somewhere of the Xanti 40, the larger model, but I feel the flow rate through the filter is a little slow for the size of the tank. I now have two of the 40 models and one of the 26 model, with plans to get a couple more 26 models (dont tell the wife!). I use the 26 for my chameleons.

You do get what you pay for, but if you look past the minor silicon problems, IMO these tanks are one of the best value and best looking nano tanks available.

If you decide to go with either of the Xanti models, hit me up about how to shrimp proof the filter and improve the filtration so that you dont have to keep buying the replacement filter panels. I've got a system of DIY tweaks that work extremely well.

• 3 weeks later...

In also interested in this. I have a 26L Aquamanta Xanti as mentioned above.

Fishmosy, could you please elaborate on the tweaks for me, please?