Plant I.D. Please

GotCrabs

Got some yabbies this morning and the people in the shop put some plant in the them, not know what it was until I got home, I'm not sure what it is, I'm thinking Buce perhaps? Anyway, I was surprised as you usually see mosses or cheaper plants put in bags of fish, shrimp and in this case yabbies.

Any ideas?

IMG_0811%201_zps3qk86jhi.jpg

This is a variant of crypt that I have

Notice same leaf shape

post-118-0-03125900-1428985539_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-03125900-1428985539_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2OFUS
  • Like 1

+1 for a Cryptocoryne wendtii.

Buce, yeah right.

That will be the day when LFS give away Buces for free.

• Like 1

Yeah hard to say from the photo crabsy. I see the resemblance to a Crypt wendtii or similar as 2ofus says, but looking at the new growth I think the leaf margins are too divided. As you say it's "like a cutting" that sounds like a stem plant to me and me vote is for a non-true aquatic like "Dragons Flame" Hemigraphis or some cheap crap like that. 

• Like 1

+1 for a Cryptocoryne wendtii.

Buce, yeah right.

That will be the day when LFS give away Buces for free.

That will be the day when LFS stock Bucephalandra!

This comes from a fish store locally that didn't know what kH and gH were... haha.

Looks like some kind of crypt

Yeah you're right there 20FUS, still, surprised that the local fish store would stock this though.

Hi mate

The tank is a 45cm mr Aqua cube :)

The plants can grow different depending on conditions

I have some more crypts that grow totally different to the ones pictured

I'm surprised the pet shop gave it to you for free

• Like 1

They ordered 10 yabbies and put them into the tank that they sold their plants from, haha, apparently within a couple days the plants were destroyed, haha.

I would say crypt to, did it have a good root system on it?? if it did not it may not survive, may not

Defending shops (had one) every one expects top dollar for there stock and then dose not want to shop to make a money on it?? some thing you have to put big mark up on to cover others you can not do it on and the owner has to make a living and cover the investment. I for one will never go back to that as the Net is killing shops. My soap box LOL

Bob

I would say crypt to, did it have a good root system on it?? if it did not it may not survive, may not

Defending shops (had one) every one expects top dollar for there stock and then dose not want to shop to make a money on it?? some thing you have to put big mark up on to cover others you can not do it on and the owner has to make a living and cover the investment. I for one will never go back to that as the Net is killing shops. My soap box LOL

Bob

Nah no root system mate, just looked like it got cut from the main plant, just have it sitting in the substrate at the moment, see how it goes, just waiting on some plants from Serene Aquariums, ordered a nice bunch of stuff, so once I have them I'll throw it all in, just need to figure out how I'm going to lay it out.

Yeah the local fish store isn't too flash, had no idea what kH and gH was, list fish as other types of fish, it's kinda funny but sadly it's our only fish shop here.

Hi Crabs, if you find a good one stick with them.

For you Crabs

purplecrabs030.jpg

1stcapecollectingtrip063.jpg

1stSnails013.jpg

Enjoy and all my photos

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Crabs, if you find a good one stick with them.

For you Crabs

purplecrabs030.jpg

1stcapecollectingtrip063.jpg

1stSnails013.jpg

Enjoy and all my photos

Bob

They're crackers, what kind are they?

Looked at the Crypt earlier, it's green on top of the leaf and purple underneath, hopefully it grows.

The bottom one is a species of Parasesarma, one of the costal ones that need brackish water to complete there life cycle, but the adults live all there lives in fresh water, they are dependant on a soil type to dig the holes in. or they dig under rocks, the males can be bright yellow

Middle one is the Tiger crab, Holthuisana Tigerensis it is a protected species that live on a northern branch of the Mitchel river called the Alice river, very common where it occurs.

Top one is Holthuisana agassizi, a wide spread species across the Cape and every separated area has a different colour.

The family name Holthuisana has been changed, I have not kept up with it.

There is lots more nice species, the only one I ever have in numbers is the top one and I just sent heaps off to a wholesaler down south, so you may see some in a shop near you?? and don't believe the story that seams to attach to the purple one, the story they need to get out of water its BS, the bottom one HAS to get out of water as its costal.

Time to stop, I could rave on and on

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, your knowledge on native aquatic fauna is amazing.

Glad you are so active on SKF. It's great to have such knowledge and experience on SKF.  :thumbsu:

Edited by jayc

JayC now I have go and hide in embarrassment, I think the length of time I have been playing in creek helps and where I live is AMAZING

I am about to put up some photos of the other thing I am into BUGS, framing and selling them.

TA

Bob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ended up finding out what the plant was, it's Hemigraphis Repanda, this was in my local fish store, it's not actually an aquarium plant that can be put under water, once I read this I checked the plant out and sure enough it was wasting away, took it out and might have to find somewhere else, perhaps the pond sitting in a pot at water level, hopefully can save it.

Ha!! Did I say it's Hemigraphis or what. Crypt... bah. 

Alright, alright, you win... here's some candy...

pedobear_free_candy_van_zpsryuuhmsk.jpg

• Like 1