Australia's BEST native fish

northboy

It is the Best in my point of view any way LOL.

The Fresh Water Moray Gymnothorax polyuranodon, they are a spectacular animal and easy to keep in Pure fresh water, there is a lot of BS about having to keep them in Brackish water! total BS those that can not keep them in full fresh are not doing it right, We have had them between 2 of us for 3 years in full fresh and they are doing extremely well,When I get moved I will put up some more photos for you

One of the photos was taken by a mate of mine, that is why his name is on it, but that one is my fish, they get to over 1mt and there colour ranges from Black to Blood red.

PerlandNuget047.jpgGymnothorax_polyuranodonJune2009_Bo.jpg

Enjoy, Bob

Yeah, That's frickin cool man. I like that a lot!

Wow didn't know these guys existed. Are they closely related to marine morays or more similar to classic freshwater eels like the long or shortfins?

They are close to a salt moray, we are doing the work (the paper) on them now to find out if they got to the salt to breed or breed in fresh and the fry go to the salt like so many other species.They are spectacular animals, the professor! that has some said yesterday all of his are now over the meeter.

Bob

Thats awesome. We have the common green morays (saltwater) at work, they are awesome.

Do the freshwater ones interact with you like the saltwater ones learn to?

No not that well, but they know feed times.

They will certainly check out what is going on in the room they are in.

Bob

Thats interesting :). Might feel uncomfortable having a fish watching you unend though :p.

lol especially when he escapes and come looking for you ,

eels can stay out of water for a long time ... they can travel upto 30kms a day on land ....well the oz native reinhardi do anyways :)

Only when it is wet, they soon dry out if they land on the carpet, lasting a little bit longer on tiles/cement/timber floors.

The freshwater morays are cool but I cant spare a big tank to keep one in. Added it to my 'one day' list....

They don't last long out of water, as Morays are great escape artists in the first few months and you have to be careful.

I have kept them in a 2 foot tank for 12 months, the eel was about 60cm long, the amazing thing is they can fold them selves, that 60cm eel could have its head and tail poking out of 25mm PVC pipe WOW.

I have seen them at midday in the wild down in the rocks about 60 to 90cm below the rock surface moving through the crevasse.

Bob

• 2 months later...

Love the fresh water moray eels, just a shame I can't dedicate a tank to them. Beautiful colours.

Very cool Eel Bob, How compatible are these guys with fish ? How much would one cost? are they readily available?