How do you guys feed your shrimp when you're away for 3 weeks?

larrymull

• HOF Member

Blanched mulberry leaves are great. Do a good water change the day before you go, leave the lids on to stop evaporation, buy auto timer  switch to put lights on and off- very cheap from bunnings. I have left my tanks many times for weeks at a time with just the Mulberry leaves - my tanks also always have the IAL  they take longer to breakdown. If you go away for longer periods leave a small amount of food in heaps on top of the lid , get someone to brush one heap  into the tank every few weeks( I use medication cups) and leave some conditioned water for them to top up the tanks when necessary. Just leave a mark in texta on the tank and get them to top up to that mark. Mine have been left for 2 1/2 months with someone coming a couple of times during that time to feed and topup and when I came back the tanks had heaps of berried girls in them so they did extremely well on neglect. Really in general the biofilm in your tank should be enough to feed your shrimp unless you are overstocking them and that would take a lot of shrimp.

• HOF Member

I just noticed you said one communal - if you have fish you either need a holiday food block or an auto feeder- unless you want to come home to your shrimp ending up a holiday food! :smileys-fish-465204:

I use a combo of blanched Mulberry leaves, Fresh unblanched mulberry leaves (takes longer to be eaten), IAL, and Snowflake.

Depending on the type of fish, i use ial and mulberry leaves for guppies and bn as well as shrimp.

Cheers mick

I use Shrimp Snow & leaves. You can also use Barley pellets. All of these foods won't foul the tank & the shrimp will just graze on it whenever they feel like it. I don't worry too much about the fish if it's under a week, they can handle it. :thumbsu:

I dump some IAL, have been using this method for years even when I leave my tanks Un attended for 2-3 week, but to be safe I do a large water change before leaving.

Thanks guys I have bought some IAL and mulberry leaves off 2ofus so sounds like that will do the trick.