Aging Substrate/Advice

WestCA

Hey,

Noticed on the forum and from a couple breeders they mention "Aging the Substrate". Generally what does this involve? is it the same as cycling a tank and can be assisted with biological additives?

I use Fluval Strata, i like the look and it seems to be great with the Rili's but its a little light to plant into and even the delicate internal can move the stuff around (Horrible for plantlets staying put).

I was looking at the benibachi shrimp soil, does it hold a bit more weight and also live up to the quality?

Thanks

Benibachi is definitely well worth the money, it may seem like a lot to pay for the initial outlay but it is value well spent. Its buffering capabilities are really good and you can get it in a couple of different sizes. If you use RO water then it will last even longer then advertised as its not having to buffer your water as much.

I'm not sure what you mean by aging the substrate but you will find that most if not all will release some level of ammonia and what not into the water over a period of time when its first added. Some people like to run it in the tank for a bit with water changes and the like until the spike stops, so similar to cycling but a lot of the tanks used are already cycled it just avoids stress to the shrimp.

It also can help when you have a fully set up tank and you are just replacing the soil  bit by bit

Benibachi is much better if you want to plant into the substrate......

I like Cal Aqua Labs Black Earth Premium. Almost half the price of Benibachi. Been using the Normal type in a few tanks and love it. No issues with planting stems or carpet type plants/plantlets and good plant growth too. Highly recommend it.

Also, great price from our forum sponsor the Tech Den.

Edited by jc12

Its hard to have the choices! But the joy is there are many good options available now!!

I use Benibachi personally but have also only heard good things about Black Earth soils.

Look forward to hearing what you decide upon!! And pics too!! :)

I have used both & have found that Benibachi is best for shrimp tanks with some plants & BEP is best for planted tanks with some shrimp.

Oz is spot on, aging the substrate is just cycling it till it is mature & has a good bacterial colony/biofilm in it. :thumbsu: