UV sterilizer

Mark49

Just wondering where to install my UV sterilizer.It is a 13 w unit rated at 4 liters per hour.This is quite low so would it be better to put it inline with my ro unit and add sterilized water to my tanks.

The water from the RO unit will be essentially sterile already. You want to put the UV on a bypass from the sump pump - put a T in the line with a tap to control the flow rate and run that through the UV

I will post a photo of my nice simple sump on your other thread, just can't do it until tonight. 

Have been looking at different brands of uv and wattage.I have been told De Barry are good but pricey.Any recommendations of brand and wattage that people use on their shrimp racks.I will be using an Eheim 1262 rated at 3400 lph and with head loss probably closer to 2500 lph.

Many say they are not necessary and lots and lots of people don't run them at all. Shrimp eat algae and micro organisms that uv sterilisers kill. That being said I use one and went with a sun sun 55 watt and plumbed it inline on the return line.

I like kizshrimps idea of teeing off the return so you can slow the flow down this way you can run a much smaller unit and get a better unit for your money. Done that way your not treating you entire system completely( water follows the path of least resistance) but in time you should get most of it.Remember that you need more than 18 watts to kill parasites otherwise your just killing algae.