Buyo TL-450 conversion to freshwater

Sorped

Hello!

So, a while ago a friend gave me a Buyo TL-450 with no tech and fried lid-electrics. I've finally gotten around to doing something about it, and I've run in to some questions...

numbered_chambers.png

An overview over compartments

The tank is 58l and the return pump is 620l/h, adjustable. I've tried from mid to full setting.

In the original marine setup there is an intake in 1, skimmer in 2, heater in 3 and return pump in 4 (afaIk). I've replaced that with a blue filtersponge in 1, bio-balls in 2, heater in 3 and return pump in 4. Problem is I don't think the circulation is good enough. Granted, there are four holes in chamber 3, I believe to hold the original heater, but even with those 4 holes sealed, I don't think it's going to be good enough.

SO, I've thought about getting a spongefilter instead, am I correct buying a aprox 300l/h air pump for that size aquarium? And even with a spongefilter, would it hurt to filter through the chambers as well (and at the same time maybe use the ejected water as a powerhead)?

Thank you :)

It sounds like there is something wrong with the pump. 620lph is ten times per hour turnover for the tank, so should be more than enough for the shrimp. Check that the return pipes are not clogged with encrusting algae. This is common in marine tanks.

Also check the pump for any buildup of material inside it.

If that doesn't work, you could try getting a larger pump. I've upgraded the size of the pump in similar setups with no problems.

If you want to have the sponge filter as well, there is no reason why you cant run the chambers as well. In shrimp tanks, there can never be too much filtration.

Edited by fishmosy

It sounds like there is something wrong with the pump. 620lph is ten times per hour turnover for the tank, so should be more than enough for the shrimp. Check that the return pipes are not clogged with encrusting algae. This is common in marine tanks.

Also check the pump for any buildup of material inside it.

If that doesn't work, you could try getting a larger pump. I've upgraded the size of the pump in similar setups with no problems.

If you want to have the sponge filter as well, there is no reason why you cant run the chambers as well. In shrimp tanks, there can never be too much filtration.

Pump is brand new, so is the tubing running from the pump. I'll get a spongefilter as well, then I should be sure.