Australian Zebra shrimp

Farma

I was waiting for these to pop into a discussion. I know a few members keep them, i'm just waiting until they get a little more established in the hobby and stay alive in captivity before i start. Very keen also to see them succeed in the shrimp scene.

a quick google images search and i found these

post-29-139909845666_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909845631_thumb.jpg

oh ok so some people do have have them then, i was assuming id have to go to nth qld to get some, which isnt out of the question as i will be there in oct but i cant find any info on them really

Dean has some ... Pics on Facebook - boss aquaria - from an interview he did a while back ... Check it out and of course like!

Yes a few people keep them. i think Dean @ bossaquaria keeps them as well. They are an atyidea shrimp called Cardina Confusa ( False Zebra Shrimp) found in Nth Qld and along The Top End of Australia. There is a guy called Blake from up Cairns way who sells them occasionally, I am waiting to get some tank space to get some myself.

Cheers

i was keeping them and they were starting to breed also but in the last month i have lost them all except for 2 adults and a few babies.

i dont know why they started to dropp off but i do know they are very coo shrimp to have in your collection :)

i think if you contact Liverpool creek aquarium he will be able to sort you out with some mate.

ill be getting more again myself once i figure out what i did wrong :)

• 2 weeks later...

dammit, i was hoping to get some zebra offspring from you dean, as they would be from similar conditions to what i have. i was just watching this video

and thinking of the possibilities from a native shrimp that would no longer mean exotic imports etc as we would have a unique home grown variation... i wonder if crossing with CRS and Taiwan bee would be a possiblity in the future?

crs & taibee already cross mate. or do you mean with native ?

yeah i meant with the zebra... it's probably not even possible but nice to dream!

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I must look at the native shrimp threads more often. I was pleased to see one of my photos used here.

There is a lot of false info on the Zebs out there, I am doing a field trip article on them now, so I will have to get my finger out.

I had been looking for a low land population for about 6 years and found some 4 years ago, since then I have breed them on and off during that time, now We have bought a house again I can go for it.

Bob

I was give a number of a guy who breeds these, I am gonna give him a call and find out how much they are as I've been searching for ages. If you want I can pass on the info once I find out if he doesn't mind :)

• 2 months later...

I bought some Zebras off Bob late last year. They were gorgeous little guys and Bob is excellent to do business with ;)

Unfortunately, though, I think I managed to kill the shrimp because I haven't seen them in my tank for over a month :( Pretty sure this was around the time I moved some things around in my tank and stirred up the substrate. Lesson = don't fiddle with things in the tank once shrimp go in.

They take a bit more heat than most people think, it is water quality and disease that gets them first.

I spent a long time finding low land Zebs so they could take a bit more heat, the ones from around Ravenshoe ( high land ones) don't take over 20 very well, it is one of those myths that need to be busted, must get finger out.

Thanks for the king words Jess.

Bob

Very interesting read this article about native zebras .thanks bob for the work you are doing and shareing .what price are they ruffly going for.

cheers mike

That should have been KIND words LOL

I sell them for $5ea and I am going to chase up some Blacks and clears to breed with to

Bob

Zebras are by far my favourite native shrimp, when you do get some Bob put me down for 5-6, pleeeeease! :encouragement:

image-74_zpsfcb85c27.jpg