K1 media

Mark49

I am in the process of setting up a sump with K1 media.I would like to know what will give the best results of fluidising this media.ie go with air to move the media or use a power head.What would be better to have max bio load.

Cheers Mark.

If it's in a sump the incoming water from the overhead tanks should get it moving fine. Have a look at Squiggle's rack build thread. 

Nitrifying bacteria need a good oxygen supply do do their best work. The turbulence from incoming water in a sump should keep the water saturated with oxygen and get the media moving well, which allows it to slough off the excess bacterial film as it grows. Both functions of the media are achieved without the need for an additional pump. 

Looks like petfish beat me to the answer, although our answers differ. If I was recommending a home made reactor like a plastic drink bottle then air would also be my recommendation, although I don't use stones on my reactors - they block up. Most people using K1 seem to have it in a DIY reactor.   

Setting up a sump/refugium for shrimp.4ft sump with 2x 4ft overhead shrimp tanks.K1 seems to be the best.Is it worthwhile using matrix as well or just go with K1 media.

Depends what you're trying to achieve Mark. If you're purely after aerobic nitrification (ammonia to nitrite to nitrate) then fluidized sand is actually more effective than K1 but doesn't enjoy the current trendy popularity of K1 for some reason.  Both are also self cleaning which leads neatly to the next point. Neither provide any mechanical filtration so you need sponges, matting or something along those lines if you want water clarity as well. 

Finally there is the possibility of designing your filtration to achieve anaerobic denitrification, the reduction of nitrate to N2 gas which then escapes to the atmosphere. This is where something like matrix might become quite useful although I'm starting lean towards Marine Pure as better alternative. I will say that my investigation of Marine Pure suggests that the low density types - cubes, rock and rubble are more effective use of space than the high density types - balls etc. 

Sorry, I have to go. Hopefully that gives you enough to go on with.