pluming air

buck

I’m going to use my new lp60 to run the air to my whole shrimp room using 20mm pressure pipe. my question is should I run it in a loop or just run pip to the parts of the room I need? I’m 90% sure I saw somewhere I should do it as a loop because of some reason I’ve forgotten but at the end of the day is it really going to make that much difference? :leaking: 

A loop prevents a decrease in pressure as you move away from the pump. At worst, not using a loop results in the lines at the end of the pipe having less air coming out compared to the lines near the pump. So if you have a deep tank at the end of the pipe, there may not be enough air pressure to run an air stone or filter in this tank.

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 1

Thanks mate I thought that was it! Guess ill buy more pipe haha

Another one for loop, it works way better, another tip for you, go to a plumbing shop and get 6mm watering taps, double thread or thread and barb, then find a self tapping screw with the same thread, cut the screw head off and use it to tap a thread into your pipe with a cordless drill, you will need a socket to screw the tap in, but there will be no leaks

Bob

Cheers bob I've got some of the 6mm double threaded taps and was going to do exactly as your say using the scre, I think I read another thread that you suggested that In :)

• Like 1

Loop for sure it will equal out your air supply to all points.

I've always done the air system with cheap black poly, works fine. Even though the walls are thin the threaded offtakes still bite in with no leaks. 

• Like 3

The white PVC pipe is way neater and stays clamped where you put it, I to have used the black but the white is leaps and bounds in front.

Bob

I'll second that Bob! PVC is really nice but I'm both lazy and a cowboy, so even the water plumbing on my aquarium racks is in black poly. It's very cheap and quick to both work with and modify. 

In fact, the only application (at home) that I've ever bothered with PVC for is the pressure line for the fog cooling in my greenhouse. 

Your a worrie Krzshrimp, yep I have used it when in a hurry and tight budget, in time it ends up giving me issues so I stick to the PVC now.

I have 2 fish rooms to do and have been talking about them for years, when I get around to them I will do Journals on both and put them up here with DIY

Bob

• Like 3

I did mine with black poly and was a bit skeptical at first and expected there to be air leaks but its turned out very nice and definately no leaks.  I did mine with threaded barbs (thread into the main line) and then use barbed inline taps separately that I locate just above the lid of each tank.  I am very careful not to overtighten and strip the threads when insalling barbs.  I used saddle clamps every metre to hold it to the wall and keep it neat.  I bent the line around the corners rather than using an elbow fittings so it was a continuous loop without any breaks that could leak.  The only reason I didnt use PVC was because I thought tapping each thread would be a pain - but Bob,s idea using a cordless with a screw shaft (or a tap for that matter) would make that task very easy.  I'd consider PVC next time just for the neater look.  Back to poly..  Bunnings do sell a white Holman branded poly in 13mm which is OK for smaller rooms or if just doing a rack.  Anything big you'd want larger pipe.  On my rack which has massive I beams I ran a line under each beam and attached it with electricians cable clips designed to hold cables to I beams.  Photo below has an air line under the back beam, and a water line for continuous drip under the front beam. (sorry for the black on black!).  The air droppers are regular silicon air line.  The water droppers are black 4mm PVC irrigation line.  This difference is only so I dont get them confused and spray water everywhere (any more than normal!)

20141027_145054.jpg

Edited by Grubs
  • Like 2

25mm is the smallest I use, when we were doing shop fit outs we used 40mm, you can not go to big and the bigger the better, it is like a compressor tank, I have seen 100mm storm used (over kill) but when the pump was turned off it ran on for 15+ seconds. With pipe that big its a bit hard to hide LOL.

I will be using 40mm on the next rooms I build, one day

Bob

A worry, yeah you're telling me Bob! I'm sending myself prematurely grey! 

My fishroom is only small, about 30 tanks give or take. The last air pipe I used was only 13mm and it worked well enough but I've gone to 25mm now and it's much better. 40 will be nice for you and it's interesting what you say about 100mm although sure, that would be impossible to hide! And it would make all the water pipes look small too. 

LOL stop sending you self grey there are loads of others to do that for us. Children, Grandkids and many more in the family.

The 100mm was under a high set Queenslander type house, so no hiding and it was a compressor type pump and a over kill, but yep when the power went out it kept running. At the same time I was running a 60 x 4 foot tank room with ponds inside and out side using 40mm with a blower type pump and it worked a treat.

Bob