NoGi

Planaria

NoGi

Hey guys, just saw these in my tank. Can't be from over feeding as I hardly feed these guys and when I do it's not that much. They are really soft and easy to squash.

90b5879252e2c48ccd02ab79f4d776b2.jpg

kizshrimp

Yeah I tend to suck them out with a length of airline on a syringe. Little buggers end up everywhere if you don't remove them. 

eozen81

I hate them, it's really odd how they pop up if you don't overfeed, maybe a new plant from outside or something like that?

In anycase I recommend you to find a DIY planaria trap and put into tank. For example:

fishmosy

Squashing them may not be the best way to get rid of them. Planaria are very hardy and can survive being cut in pieces to produce several individuals.

ineke

Yes be careful squashing them I'm pretty sure there was a write up stating the segments will regrow .

inverted

Ooooo..... Those videos make me sick.....worms are so gross

eozen81

I agree, they are totally gross. Although mechanical traps look useful unfortunately the eggs will hatch and planaria breeding will continue, that's why I believe it's always the best keep traps in the tank and make daily cleanings (flushing caught planarias and refreshing the food in the trap).

NoGi

Great, worse timing ever as I am away for 2 weeks from Tuesday. Unlikely I'll be able to remove before then. Anything chemically I can do in the next day or 2? I don't think I can source No Planaria in the time I am here.

eozen81

No, you might be able to. Just set the trap with a delicious food (somethin with protein % high) for planaria today and check before the journey on Tuesday. In this 2 full days I presume you will have lots of planaria caught.

For Tuesday, fefore you go off replace the food with something not harmful for the tank (i.e. protein % low) as you will not be able to replace it for 2 weeks. While you come back I still presume you will have some planarias caught in the trap.

NoGi

That's going to be plan b. Will try to get some no Planaria otherwise what fish would do the trick without clearing my shrimp population? Not sure if neons would eat them?

jayc

Eww, big suckas too.

Makes my scalp itch.

killer007

if i use no planaria, will i be able to kill them all and never come back again, if i don't get anything from LFS or ppl?

NoGi

It is Planaria and not flat worm right guys?

inverted

The bottom one has a classic planaria shape!

Edited by inverted

NoGi

I should try and get some macro shots for the library before killing them all lol

• Like 1

inverted

Good idea

Anaeflurane

I have had great success with Planaria Zero from Benibachi. I have used this on two separate occasions, once with my King Kongs and once with my Blue Dreams. No deaths and no issues what so ever.

kizshrimp

Planaria ARE flatworms. Nice to hear a good report on "Planaria Zero", thanks Anaeflurane. I have heard negative reports of shrimp deaths related to most recommended treatments, even "Internal Parasite Clear" that most users recommend highly. 

I have planaria in some of my tanks and haven't rushed to do anything about it. They probably have a small impact on the shrimp population but aren't disastrous by a long shot. NoGi, I think it's best that you can't source a treatment before you leave. I certainly wouldn't use any untried medication in any tank that I was about to leave for an extended time. 

NoGi

I'm gone for 2 weeks and am doing a water change right now, was going to anyway for while I was gone. If I can't source something tomorrow it'll have to wait till I get back. I think I just noticed some hydra too.  :mad:

post-25-0-88820900-1427617079_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-11901400-1427617084_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-63246600-1427617089_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-29472500-1427617093_thumb.jpg

inverted

Yep.....looks like a hydra......yuck

NoGi

Yep.....looks like a hydra......yuck

They don't like H2O2 much.  :lolu:

Can't see anymore of them. The planaria don't like it much either but too many to spot dose.

NoGi

Some traps I grabbed today. Also got some meds on the way to me.

post-25-0-44449000-1427688424_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-58460900-1427688432_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

eozen81

Wow, let us know about the trap if it catches those damn bastards :)

NoGi

Those traps caught a lot of them and more kept coming. Anyway I did manage to get some Planaria Zero the day I flew out. I dosed the tank and came back after 2 weeks with no Planaria in the tank. I was a little worried i would be back to dead shrimp as you are supposed to do regular water changes and additional doses but fortunately no dead shrimp. I set the traps again just in case and so far no Planaria in the traps either.

• Like 4

eozen81

Thank you for the feedback. It's good to hear that traps are working. God damn planarias go to hell :)

Edited by eozen81