Planaria

NoGi

Hey Everyone,

I have a large amount of tiny white slug looking things on my glass. Curiously they seem to congregate in three patches. I just thought they were some innocuous creature until yesterday I observed one of these tiny things gobbling up a live long worm like thing! (Not sure what they are called - long thin worm like a thread, corkscrews through the water)

Are these baby planaria? Your help would be appreciated, I have preemptively ordered internal parasite clear in case it is.

Sorry about the photo, I don't have a camera other than my phone.

IMG_20160312_061003.jpg

Edited by S2F

I am glad your shrimp are all fine. I just wanted to add that I have used Genchem No Planaria in all my tanks over the last few months and have not had any dosage related deaths in shrimp, even after dosing for double the period of time recommended ( CRS, TB, OEBT, Blue Dream, GB, Rili ). I have also not done the water changes they recommend with the last dosages as I had surviving Planaria  if I did a WC after dosing. I have to add that I run chillers and two airlines per tank to keep the O2 levels high. WC recommended if you do not run a chiller or more than one airline. The No Planaria also eradicated Hydra permanently. I have not had any Planaria in my tanks for months, but I suspect eradicating all Planaria have now caused the Ostracods to take over, as their population has boomed- I suspect the young/ eggs might have been eaten by Planaria...now I have messed with the food chain and am paying for it. When I do not have baby shrimp roaming around, I will unleash my beasts! ( actually two docile and completely harmless corys with a taste for seed shrimp ;)

• Like 1

Oh I am an idiot for replying to the wrong thread! Sorry everyone...Hi S2F the slugs on the glass sound like Planaria and the corkscrew worms are nematodes ( generally harmless). It's up to you what you would like to do with the Planaria. Just keep in mind that larger Planaria might feed off baby shrimp, that is why most people tend to want to get rid of them.

• Like 1