Red cherry question

Ludo

Hey all, Just a question about Red Cheery shrimp. I f i put Yellow's or Blues's with them. Will the cross breed? and if they do. What would the colouration of the babies be?

Thanks,

Ludo

Hi Ludo

I am new to shrimp keeping also, but from what I have been told they if you keep cherries of any colours they will interbreed

Results will be mixed but inherently they will revert back to they wild colours which is clear

I could be wrong though

Good luck

• Like 1

Yes, they will cross breed.
You would more than likely get shrimp that are poor blue or poor yellow, or poor reds. And definitely a few with no colour (wild type).
The trick is figuring out which colour trait is dominant and which is recessive.
The red x yellow might throw out some orange.
Not too sure with red x blue, I think both are recessive, which means non colour.
I think same with yellow x blue.
You might get lucky and get something really cool, genetics can throw surprises like that. But that would be like winning the lottery. It would take a few generations of line breeding the offspring before you make progress.

I use words like "think", "might" because its not a certainty.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

So Jay

Are certain colours dominant and others recessive? If so is that colour specific?

Yes. They are.

Take Crystal Reds and Crystal Blacks.

Reds are recessive and Blacks are dominant. If you crossed a red & black Crystal shrimp, the majority of the offspring will be black.

But each shrimp will also be carrying a recessive colour, so you might end up with a red crystal, even though black is dominant.

Black in general is a dominant colour trait.

Now let's take an example of just a single red cherry shrimp, let's say, the dominant colour is Red. But it will also be carrying recessive genes of some other colour. When mixing it with another colour, that recessive gene gains a larger possibility of occurring. 

Now where is that article I wrote ...

edit - found it.

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/7637-tibee-taitibee-pinto-mischling-f1-f2-terms-explained/

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.