My experiences about 3 months in

Zorba

Hi

Well about 3 months into my journey with shrimp keeping I thought I would share some good and bad experiences as a newbie

Firstly I have found ALL members that I have had contact with, fantastic and an asset to any forum. The content here is better than any books and if not found a member is only a PM away

I still do not have a shrimp in my tank, but this will change soon

As with most forums or clubs people come and go and a lot of members don't like wasting there knowledge with these. Sometimes extracting this information takes time

I will not name the members that I have met and so generously shared their knowledge as not to embarise  them. They know who they are! Thanks

I really don't have any bad experiences so that is good I guess

I have found it odd as I only want to get a couple of breeding trios to start with very difficult. I have never wanted any variety to start with other than the cherry. Never owning shrimp before I thought if I did something wrong to loose a few is better than loosing a lot

I find it surprising that no one is interested in selling a few, it seems to be always 20 odd (or they don't want to wet their net). I suppose this may be the norm so I will accept the umpires decision

I also found it odd that a member is prepared to feed their fish with their culls than sell a new member some?

I have also found the forum sponsors very helpful and patient

Just thought I would give this feedback

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Zorba
  • Like 2

Hey Andy,

I a glad you are able to find the information you need on SKF, it is a wealth of knowledge and a wonderful place for members to share their experiences.

A lot of breeders tend to sell juvenile shrimp, so may be harder for them to sell you confirmed trios, etc.

Also, many breeders are striving for great quality in their lines, so may not be comfortable giving you what they consider to be sub-standard shrimp to begin with.

Maybe post a Wanted To Buy thread in the classifieds section if you haven't already.

If your tank is ready to go, I am sure someone will be able to help you out.

It's a shame you didn't post this last week as we had confirmed pairs/trios on auction at the Shrimp Championship in Melbourne!!!

Glad you are enjoying your time on the forum. Please do not hesitate to PM any of us with your requests.

Unfortunately I am not in a position personally to assist you with cherries but may be able to put you in contact with someone who can!

Cheers

I agree Andy, this really is an excellent forum. In fact, I generally can't stand internet forums and this is the only one that I visit regularly or intend to add any content to. 

Hey Andy,

Once my kordan breather bags arrive I'll give you a pm if you still want some of my culls I'll try send some to you.

Best shrimp forum in the world, period.

I think you will find that most breeders don't sell adult trios because to them (myself included) a saddled female is about to become 30 more shrimp, 
and in a few short months 60, 90, 120... for some reason its easier to part with our juvi's.With Neocaridina/Cherries Breeders tend to sell in packs of 10 because that's roughly the number most people consider a good number to start a colony, you will most likely get a few females, 5 or 6 if you are lucky! and a pack of 10 juvis will normally cost you about the same as a trio anyway so it makes more sense for a newbie to start this way. when you move up to TBs they are sold individually because they are a lot more expensive and you will not find anyone willing to part with an adult female Taiwan Bee without offering them ridiculous amounts of money.

As for the culls its like Newbreed was saying. Most breeders don't want to sell culls because chances are the buyer will post up a thread or tell his 
friends- "look at my new fantastic shrimp, they from such&such" embarrassing the breeder because only his rejects are on show. 

Also be wary if someone is willing to sell you a trio (I doubt that it would happen on SKF but other forums/Facebook) some doggy people will sell you their oldest females, the ones they believe 
are done producing shrimplets. I was a sucker then I first started out!

Hope that helps and if I have not already said it, Welcome to the SKF community! :)

And yes Nogi you are biased. But that dosnt mean its not true :P
Edited by Aquathumb
  • Like 1

As for the culls its like Newbreed was saying. Most breeders don't want to sell culls because chances are the buyer will post up a thread or tell his 
friends- "look at my new fantastic shrimp, they from such&such" embarrassing the breeder because only his rejects are on show. 

Fair enough, I understand what you are saying 

Edited by Zorba

We can throw You some JUVI crs for free

Just pay post

Also most people won't sell 1 or 2 shrimps as time is an issue with posting sometimes

Especially for 2/3 shrimp mate :)

That some how reminds me of the John West ads - "The shrimp John West sells is the shrimp John West rejected".

For me, I don't have culls, each shrimp is perfect. : CRAZY :

LOL, nah my culls are really very, very poor quality shrimp. They are usually like wild types and have no colour. It's the result of me trying various crosses. I don't throw them out immediately either. They get a to go in the cull tank for at least one generation to see if anything interesting pops up.

I wouldn't want to sell you that, or give 'em away. You'll have a tank of shrimp that's very, very poor quality and have no colour.

If you ever bought more shrimp with colour, they can't be mixed, or it lowers the quality of the overall stock.

+2 to the best forum around.

Just look at the generosity.

Well done.

We can throw You some JUVI crs for free

Just pay post

That's very kind of you Gary

I would be worried that can the cherries and crs co-exist. Especially in the hands of myself, with no experience of either. Would you set the tank PH for cherries or crs? Is interstate postage expensive for shrimp?

By the way the peacock moss I got off you is doing well. It is very good quality

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Hi mate

They prefer an acidy water but can adapt to anything

Just acclimatise them very slowly

Post is like $20 express

Glad to hear your happy with the peacock moss

If you dont end up having any luck with your cherries i will  be getting rid of my whole mixed colour colony in about 4 weeks once the weather cools down :)

If you dont end up having any luck with your cherries i will  be getting rid of my whole mixed colour colony in about 4 weeks once the weather cools down :)

OzShrimp how come you are getting rid of your mixed colour shrimp? What impact does the weather have for you?

OzShrimp how come you are getting rid of your mixed colour shrimp? What impact does the weather have for you?

The weather is related to shipping the shrimp. Summer is considered too risky by many people for sending shrimp as its easy for them to get too hot. Autumn, winter and early spring are generally mild enough to avoid losses during transport of shrimp. Hence why our classifieds section is usually quieter over summer.

Can't tell you why Ozshrimp wants to move his mixed coloured colony on ;)

I am moving out of cherry shrimp and focusing solely on my CRS. I started with some red rili blue genes and a couple of blues to focus on breeding blues and now i have blues, yellows, blue body red head cherries and last time i caught them to sell them a couple of light greens. 

with just 1 tank and the higher breeding rate of cherry shrimp i want to make the environment better for my boomin crystal reds epecially the shrimplets.

Fishmosys reasoning for cooler postage is exactly right, i live in one of the hottest towns in NSW and am remote so with the heat and extra day of postage due to being off the beaten track i prefer to wait to ensure the buyer doesnt suffer any losses

Edited by OzShrimp

A trio is like a pair but with 1 extra shrimp

Normally 1 m 2 f

thanks! makes heaps of sense now.