What tank mates should I get?

Zolanski

My birthday is coming up fairly soon, and for a good birthday present I'm going to go back to my local pet store and pick out some fish. I have 5 RCS, 2 CRS and 16+ RCS babies. By the time my birthday comes around, all the babies will become big enough to not be fish food. However, I was wondering what tank mates I should get along with my shrimp. I've heard that guppies are great beginner fish for tanks, although I'm scared that they'll peck at my shrimp till death. I also like how neon tetra's swim together in little groups, so I just wanted to here some opinions and past experiences about the best tank mates for shrimp.

Otto's

Rasbora Maculata ( I think that's right, they a very small schooling fish)

Maybe a Royal Whiptail ?

We had this discussion at the show this weekend and probably all types of fish, including Otocinclus (Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish), are a threat to new babies. If breeding a large number of shrimp is not a goal then it's probably alright to add some type of fish. 

Maculata and Chili Rasboras (Boraras maculata and Boraras brigittae) are both lovely little fish that aren't going to eat anything but the tiniest shrimplets. Galaxy Rasboras / CPD are bigger but don't seem to hunt little shrimp. Threadfin Rainbows (Iriatherina werneri) have such tiny mouths that they won't be a big threat either, and they're usually available through Aquagreen at a great quality and price. The good old White Cloud (Tanichthys albonubes), available in the coldwater section of probably every aquarium store in southern Australia, is an excellent choice too. It's available in a Gold form and rarely a Longfinned form and is a long-time favorite of mine. 

• Like 1

Otto's

Rasbora Maculata ( I think that's right, they a very small schooling fish)

Maybe a Royal Whiptail ?

Forgot to mention, I already have one catfish in my tank. I'm looking more for actual fish :) But thank you regardless!

We had this discussion at the show this weekend and probably all types of fish, including Otocinclus (Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish), are a threat to new babies. If breeding a large number of shrimp is not a goal then it's probably alright to add some type of fish. 

Maculata and Chili Rasboras (Boraras maculata and Boraras brigittae) are both lovely little fish that aren't going to eat anything but the tiniest shrimplets. Galaxy Rasboras / CPD are bigger but don't seem to hunt little shrimp. Threadfin Rainbows (Iriatherina werneri) have such tiny mouths that they won't be a big threat either, and they're usually available through Aquagreen at a great quality and price. The good old White Cloud (Tanichthys albonubes), available in the coldwater section of probably every aquarium store in southern Australia, is an excellent choice too. It's available in a Gold form and rarely a Longfinned form and is a long-time favorite of mine. 

So much great choices, I'll be sure to find out more about these fish and availability. Thank you!

Here's a list of fish to put in shrimp tanks with comments regarding their hunting habits (i.e. will they nom shrimplets or not)!

http://cdas.org.au/main/node/135

Hope this helps. I think boraras sp. is a great choice!

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/search/boraras

As noted by the author of that article, things can be different in different tanks. My CPD breed readily and don't readily eat their offspring, allowing the population to grow without my intervention. When I had Glowlights (choprai) I could never get the population to increase like that. I have watched Halfbeaks hunting well below the surface many times well into the zone occupied by baby shrimp. Otherwise no surprises, all the tetras and Nannostomus are voracious hunters.

The omission of White Clouds is glaring but unsurprising; they're one of the most underrated fish around. Just because they're cheap and common in the aquarium trade doesn't make them no good. I often hear aquarists carry on about "conservation values", well the humble White Cloud may be well established in the aquarium trade but it's extinct in its original habitat and now only occurs in an isolated population on Hainan Island. It's not the only "common" aquarium species to be critically endangered or extinct in the wild. 

• Like 2

I think that the omission of white clouds would be due to them being coldwater fish (though they can tolerate subtropical temperature...)

And they have pretty big mouths too for a small fish!

They don't really hunt though. And are perfect at shrimp suitable temperatures. 

But, maculata rasboras or brigittae if you can get them are better choices, no doubt. If you can get them. 

dont see it mentioned here so I thought id add endler guppies. particularly males as theyre quite small. great colours and if ur looking for a tough fish then theres not many tougher than guppies as far as I know :)

Here's a list of fish to put in shrimp tanks with comments regarding their hunting habits (i.e. will they nom shrimplets or not)!

http://cdas.org.au/main/node/135

I don't see guppies listed, neither as good nor bad - should they be lumped in with endlers in this regard?

Male endlers are a good choice.

They are small and colourful and very easy to keep. I keep endlers and shrimp in all my tanks and I've never seen them go after the shrimp.

I also had a thought about getting a betta. I've read a lot of good things about them as compatible tank mates, but at the same time some people said that they give your shrimp a one way ticket to death. Not sure though.

Bettas are some of the most effective hunters I have ever watched in a tank. They cleverly work out where potential food is hiding and then eat it. I'd put them right up with Cichlids as intelligent, successful aquarium hunters. 

I used to keep endlers and guppies in a tank with red cherry shrimp and they would harrass shrimp nipping at them

Has anyone tried these rainbow fish Rhadinocentrus ornatus

These occur locally. Kinda like mini rainbows. Haven't kept them with shrimp before as I suspect they would just chomp them down.

Has anyone tried these rainbow fish Rhadinocentrus ornatus

Wow that rainbowfish is beautiful!

I have cardinal and lemon tetras in with the RCSs and they do not bother the RCSs at all, even the less than 5mm juveniles. Just to be safe, have lots of plants like a dense ground cover and moss. I have Staurogyne Repens carpet and Subwassertang that the RCSs hide in when they feel vulnerable.

Yeah Rhadinocentrus can be pretty aggressive fish in aquaria. I really love them but not shrimp suitable. Threadfin Rainbows (Iriatherina werneri) are a great choice though and a much better general aquarium fish. 

Neons, Cardinals & simulans are good choices, a bit more prone to nipping shrimp than Boraras or Tanichthys but pretty good. Always liked Lemon Tetras, they're a good community fish and I could believe they're not too bad around shrimp. Vlad your tank is quite lovely and well planted so that would help. 

Many of the similar shaped tetras to Lemons - other Hyphessobrycon species - are quite nippy and many are plant eaters. You do have to be careful with tetras. 

Angels are way too aggressive for shrimp.

I use this analogy with fish & shrimp all the time - ever see a lion swallow a warthog whole?

No, they take small bites out of it.

Same with fish and shrimps.

The fish will hunt, harass and take bites out of the shrimp.

Shrimp legs & antenna, are particularly vulnerable.

I've seen cardinal tetras do that to CRS.

The shrimp is then disabled and they close in for the kill like little piranhas.

• Like 1

Well, I decided to go with neon tetras. I bought 5 and got another 1 for free :)

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!

good choice. I kept neon tetras with my rcs before and never saw them hunting them :-)