Australian Shrimp Championship 2015

Thanks to a massive effort of the team from Shrimp Club Victoria, and their sponsors, this first national championship was a great success. 

It was great to see all the beautiful shrimp on display, but also nice to meet a few more people including some awesome interstate travelers. Special thanks to you guys for making the effort to come down. I hope the championship next year is even bigger and judging by the success and great vibe of this one, I think that's a certainty. Congratulations to all the entrants and especially prize winners.

Anyway I know you're all waiting to see the photos, so here goes. 

"Blue Dream" Neocaridina davidi

post-1028-0-34082100-1425219045_thumb.jp post-1028-0-50394200-1425219065_thumb.jp

First time I'd actually seen this strain. Wow! 

"Fire Red" Neocaridina davidi

post-1028-0-28012000-1425219128_thumb.jp

Wow again! 

"Orange Rili (Blue Body)" Neocaridina davidi

post-1028-0-02600700-1425220686_thumb.jp post-1028-0-24713200-1425220703_thumb.jp

"Chameleon Shrimp" Caridina sp. NT4

post-1028-0-02969500-1425219662_thumb.jp

Such a beautiful Australian native species. I really like this pic even if those out-of-focus highlights are just horrible. The rest is good IMO. 

"Black Crystal / Bee Shrimp (CBS)" Caridina logemanni

post-1028-0-50883000-1425219747_thumb.jp

"Red Crystal / Bee Shrimp (CRS)" Caridina logemanni

post-1028-0-51996900-1425219814_thumb.jp post-1028-0-66870200-1425219845_thumb.jp

post-1028-0-84212700-1425219791_thumb.jp

How's the legs on these things (especially the girl)? I must have liked them to show more than one photo, plus they were pretty well-behaved. 

"K14"grade CRS Caridina logemanni

post-1028-0-12899000-1425220132_thumb.jp

This line of shrimp are really lovely but weren't as well behaved as the last group. 

"Tangerine Tiger" Caridina mariae

post-1028-0-08253200-1425220308_thumb.jp post-1028-0-07174800-1425220351_thumb.jp

post-1028-0-99431800-1425220332_thumb.jp post-1028-0-06406700-1425220369_thumb.jp

I was really taken with those Tangerine Tigers , they're even nicer in real life than I'd expected. There were a couple of tanks of them but no OEBT, strangely. 

You noticed how I've tried to apply the new Caridina names above? Sadly that's where it ends - I think everything else are probable to definite hybrids. 

"Fancy Tiger" Caridina hybrid

post-1028-0-43081600-1425220109_thumb.jp

Even though these guys were just little, they were already really striking. Hopefully there will be plenty more "Fancy Tigers" at the next championship!

"Extreme" King Kong

post-1028-0-34008000-1425220087_thumb.jp

Shadow Pandas

post-1028-0-42317800-1425221613_thumb.jp post-1028-0-90208300-1425221644_thumb.jp

Wine Reds

post-1028-0-98831200-1425221679_thumb.jp post-1028-0-20652500-1425221700_thumb.jp

I'm going to wind it up there for now. There's only a few more pictures to go but they're of some of the loveliest shrimp, so make sure you keep looking. 

• Like 8

Thanks Kizshrimp,

Awesome pics as a member that could not go this year it is much appreciated. Definitely will have to save some leave time so I can go over next year. Cant wait for more.

There was 6 classes, so 6 winners.

Then we also had a best of show. Reserve best of show and popular choice.

BOS was the k14's, RBOS and popular choice was the shadow pandas I think.

Nice photos, Kiz :thumbsu:

....and so much easier to see than the real shrimp in the tanks (even though I was wearing my glasses)  :blush: 

• Like 1

Honestly, when I first walked in to the show, I thought Chris Lukhaup is in the house... I was right :) ... Well done mate !!! 

Thanks for the kind words everyone, yes I really like some of the photos too. Chris Lukhaup? I wish. There is a huge gulf between the quality I have shown here and his amazingly detailed close head shots. Following Shrimpy Daddy's excellent advice in his "Photography tips" thread will see any of you take photos like mine or better. 

As lodo mentioned, the K14 were best in show, a beautiful line I imagine are from beeshrimp oz. The photo is of one shrimp from the winning group, I couldn't get photos of the others (badly behaved). I got pics of whatever shrimp I could, not necessarily the best in the group. BTW the groups were (I believe) at least partly judged on consistency as a group.  I'll update my posts with breeder and prize info when I can. The chameleon shrimp was from a group shown by Paul O'leary that I believe won 1st in the native class. 

Gbang wanted me to mention that the Blue Dream, Fire Red, Orange Rili, CBS and CRS I've shown were on display only, and not eligible for entry in the competition - obviously because their owner was judging. The same is true of the Snow White and probably Skeleton Bee that I'll post below. Different judges though. 

Anyway... I'll get on with posting the rest of the pictures. 

Skeleton Bee - Breeder: newbreed

post-1028-0-34682100-1425279052_thumb.jp

This was not the most "skeletony" shrimp in the group, but it was the one that I caught near the glass. 

Snow White - Breeder: Squiggle

post-1028-0-86133700-1425279076_thumb.jp

Again, this was the only one of the group that I managed to get a shot of. 

Mosura Blue Bolts - Breeder: beeshrimp oz

post-1028-0-40407600-1425278827_thumb.jp post-1028-0-37255000-1425278863_thumb.jp

post-1028-0-61919000-1425278880_thumb.jp post-1028-0-61541400-1425278845_thumb.jp

Damn these were some good looking shrimp. The colour was really good and a bit washed out here. Obviously I really liked them, as with the group below. 

Mosura Pinto - Breeder: beeshrimp oz. 1st Place, Category 6 (others)

post-1028-0-06689500-1425278908_thumb.jp post-1028-0-96623000-1425278933_thumb.jp

post-1028-0-77202800-1425278952_thumb.jp post-1028-0-80161600-1425279006_thumb.jp 

How's the 2 little faces in the last picture? 

That's the last of the shrimp photos from me, hope you enjoyed looking. Hopefully you can join us next year, it should be amazing!  

Edited by kizshrimp
  • Like 6

Thanks to a massive effort of the team from Shrimp Club Victoria, and their sponsors, this first national championship was a great success.

It was great to see all the beautiful shrimp on display, but also nice to meet a few more people including some awesome interstate travelers. Special thanks to you guys for making the effort to come down. I hope the championship next year is even bigger and judging by the success and great vibe of this one, I think that's a certainty. Congratulations to all the entrants and especially prize winners.

Anyway I know you're all waiting to see the photos, so here goes.

"Blue Dream" Neocaridina davidi

attachicon.gifblue_dream copy.jpg attachicon.gifblue_dream3 copy.jpg

First time I'd actually seen this strain. Wow!

"Fire Red" Neocaridina davidi

attachicon.giffire_red copy.jpg

Wow again!

"Orange Rili (Blue Body)" Neocaridina davidi

attachicon.giforangerili copy.jpg attachicon.giforangerili2 copy.jpg

"Chameleon Shrimp" Caridina sp. NT4

attachicon.gifchameleon copy.jpg

Such a beautiful Australian native species. I really like this pic even if those out-of-focus highlights are just horrible. The rest is good IMO.

"Black Crystal / Bee Shrimp (CBS)" Caridina logemanni

attachicon.gifcbs copy.jpg

"Red Crystal / Bee Shrimp (CRS)" Caridina logemanni

attachicon.gifcrs2 copy.jpg attachicon.gifcrs_fem copy.jpg

attachicon.gifcrs1 copy.jpg

How's the legs on these things (especially the girl)? I must have liked them to show more than one photo, plus they were pretty well-behaved.

"K14"grade CRS Caridina logemanni

attachicon.gifk14 copy.jpg

This line of shrimp are really lovely but weren't as well behaved as the last group.

"Tangerine Tiger" Caridina mariae

attachicon.giftangerine3 copy.jpg attachicon.giftangerine1 copy.jpg

attachicon.giftangerine4 copy.jpg attachicon.giftangerine2 copy.jpg

I was really taken with those Tangerine Tigers , they're even nicer in real life than I'd expected. There were a couple of tanks of them but no OEBT, strangely.

You noticed how I've tried to apply the new Caridina names above? Sadly that's where it ends - I think everything else are probable to definite hybrids.

"Fancy Tiger" Caridina hybrid

attachicon.giffancy_tigers copy.jpg

Even though these guys were just little, they were already really striking. Hopefully there will be plenty more "Fancy Tigers" at the next championship!

"Extreme" King Kong

attachicon.gifextremekk copy.jpg

Shadow Pandas

attachicon.gifshadow_panda copy.jpg attachicon.gifshadow_panda2 copy.jpg

Wine Reds

attachicon.gifwine copy.jpg attachicon.gifwine2 copy.jpg

I'm going to wind it up there for now. There's only a few more pictures to go but they're of some of the loveliest shrimp, so make sure you keep looking.

Out standing photos mate I'm drooling lol

Thanks for sharing the photos...... Makes me mourn the recent loss of my k14s ;(

Sigh.....

Hope I can get down there next year.

Thank you kindly for sharing you did a good job taking them :)

Hopefully more people will share some photos to! 

Awesome cheers for sharing they are all great pics and i cant pick a fave lol im stuck between the mosura BB and the tangerine tigers

These images are amazing Kishrimp!

They really highlight the quality of entrants and gives you an idea of how challenging the judging was, I was very glad I have Jay, Glenn and Paul to guide me.

So many amazing shrimp for the inaugural Championship, next year will be amazing!

Thanks to all involved, it was wonderful to have such good participation!

And Kizshrimp, if I need to get super amazing images of my shrimps in the future, I now know who I will be calling! Brilliant!

Probably best place to post this

SHRIMP CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS

BEST OF SHOW
K14's by Beeshrimp Oz

RESERVE BEST OF SHOW
Shadow Panda's by Beeshrimp Oz

POPULAR CHOICE
Shadow Panda's by Beeshrimp OZ

Category 1: Natives
1st place: Chameleon Shrimp by Paul O'Leary
2nd place: Darwin Short nose by James Lodington
3rd place: Chameleon shrimp by Paul Yeo

Category 2: Neocaridina/Cherry's
1st place: Snowball Shrimp by Newbreed
2nd place: Yellow Cherry's by James Lodington
3rd place: Chocolate Cherry's by Shrimpmytank Bathurst

Category 3: Bee Shrimp
1st place: K14's by Beeshrimp Oz
2nd place: CRS by James Lodington
3rd place: CBS by James Lodington

Category 4: Taiwan Bee's
1st place: Shadow Panda's by Beeshrimp Oz
2nd place: Extreme King Kongs by Beeshrimp Oz
3rd place: Wine Red's By Shrimply Irresistable

Category 5: Tigers
1st place: Tangerine Tigers by Jacky Chan
2nd place: Tangerine Tigers by Shrimply Irresistable

Category 6: Others
1st place: Pinto's by Beeshrimp Oz
2nd place: Fancy Tigers by Agap Manalo

• Like 1

Thanks for that James. I didn't pay attention to what the shrimp were entered as, so what I have listed as beeshrimp's MKK are probably the Class 6 1st place Pintos. Still look like MKK to me, but I'll edit the post tomorrow. 

Can always ask the judges, as end of the day they are the ones who have the say in what they feel a shrimp is. i was just putting results up as what entrants had their shrimp listed as on entry forms

• 1 month later...

Great photos. thanks for sharing them. Oh I would love some of those shrimp in my tanks!