Rainwater remineralisation

Lee-cee

Hi. New here and (fairly) new to the shrimp world. Had red cherries for years and they seem to be indestructible. (Even have them living happily in tang water.) I'm embarking on my very first proper shrimp tank. Its set up and almost ready to go. Wondering about remineralisation. I have some of those mineral balls available for me to use. Am I right to assume I still need to use a product like salty shrimp in addition to the balls to get the water right? TIA

Yes.....if you plan on keeping Crs or Tb's. Get yourself a tds meter too.

I'm thinging a different colour variation of neocaridina since I've got cherries and they aren't as sensitive as the others. Then once I've got everything under control some tibee.

Ok thanks inverted

If I keep just neos would cutting tap water with rain water and the addition of mineral balls be sufficient?

+1 to TDS and other test kits.

The Neos might be okay with rainwater + tapwater mix and some mineral balls.

But you're just playing a guessing game without test equipment.

If you can't get all the test kits at once, get them slowly over time.

I'd start with the TDS pen - I find it very useful.

If you are starting out a new tank and it needs to cycle, then Ammonia and Nitrate kits are a must. I left out Nitrite, since I find that less useful.

pH kits are also standard.

GH and KH kits are next, and people don't get these until a problem arises, but then it's too late.

The tank is rain water and its

Kh 10ppm

pH 6.4

Gh 30ppm

Straight tap water is

Kh 60ppm

pH 7

Gh 150ppm

TDS unknown

If I were you, I'd just use that tank water, and remineralise with Salty Shrimp GH+ bought from one of the forum sponsors.

Forget tap water. Tapwater mixed with tank/rain water will raise the GH, but it is made up of stuff you don't want in the aquarium.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.