TDS adjustment (lowering) Reassure me!

OzShrimp

Just did my weekly water change and my tds was 175ish howeer its normally kept around 155. So anyway i ended up putting in like 30 litres of straight RO Water and brought it down to about 160 but i couldnt remember if this was all good to do lol.

My shrimp are pretty harder and all my water changes are done by just pouring the bucket in and dont have issues but wth RO water straight need some reassurance lol, would hate to see like 100+ CRS die -nervous laugh- lol 

Should be fine dude, just like ripping a bandaid off quick, little bit of stress but only for a short time. :thumbsu:

• HOF Member

That's how I drop mine too although if for some reason -lots of evaporation etc - the TDS needs to be dropped a lot I will put a small amount of Salty shrimp in the new water just so it isn't too much of a difference and you see how well my CRS tank does on it. Generally though it's just straight RO done with a slow pour from the bucket -my shrimp don't get the drip treatment for water changes!

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys,

My TDS has crept up to 230 with a gh of 8 in a 60l tank. Do you think I should just do a large water change and try and bring down to say 170 with plain RO water?

I would be doing that slowly only because its a fairly large drop. Some might say it will be fine but to be on a safer side i would be doing it gradually.

I would be doing that slowly only because its a fairly large drop. Some might say it will be fine but to be on a safer side i would be doing it gradually.

Hello @larrymull,

All my tanks TDS were a lot higher then I usually keep them when I got back from my Holiday. When this occurs I don't got for a plain RO water change but I add half the amount of SS I usually do.

For example I keep my tiger tank at 180 so I will mix my RO water up to 90 TDS. I will usually change between 10-15% each week until the TDS is back to where I want it. Once it is back to normal I just do my usual water changes.

• Like 1