Native shrimp and soap.

OzShrimp

The other day i was at work and a colleague of mine was chatting with one of the local aboriginal fellas about catching native shrimp for fishing. I live near the namoi and barwon river and have often wondered what type of shrimp it has, so anyhow anyhow apparently they love soap? I dont remember the exact brand the use but apparentally the shrimp love it. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or done it to attract shrimp?

My guess is it is a natural fat soap 

I think soap tends to work with macrobrachium, but why use it when there are better alternatives? Soap is a pollutant in freshwater systems.

If you want to catch macros in a trap, try dog biscuits. Seems to work pretty well for other shrimp species too.

• Like 2

I dont know why its so good i didnt get involved in their conversation just listened. I did ask to see a pic of the shrimp though and they didnt have any. 

I was talking to a fella years ago and he said the "traditional" way to catch shrimp was in a hessian sack with a leafy eucalyptus branch stuffed in to keep the mouth open. The shrimp go in to hide in the dark among the leaves. Never tried it but sounds good. Certainly no unwanted pollutants in the river. 

The soap they were talking about is a proper animal fat soap. Attracts scavengers but as fishmosy says, a pollutant and there's better baits out there. 

• Like 1

Old fashion standard soap with out to much perfume works on Shrimp (Macros), Scatts and some fish, but there are a lot of things that work better.

Nearly any thing has potential as bait, some work and some are out standing, soap is on the lower end of the scale, Where you place your trap has a huge influence on what and how much you catch.

Not a lot of use putting the trap on the bottom when you want surface fish and where the water runs into a pool is 200% better than where it runs out of the pool.

Light sticks at night work on every thing including Shrimp.

Bob

Edited by northboy
  • Like 1