Sign in to follow this  
GotCrabs

GH & KH Help

GotCrabs

I recently got a GH & KH Kit but it has no instructions inside, it's an API Kit.

Could someone explain to me how many drops I put in the 5ml cylinders and how I'll know when the water is right?

I emptied the water to about quarter of the tank and then added rainwater, tested pH and it's 6.6 and TDS is 58, so need to put the TDS up to 120.

Noob question I know, but thought I'd ask on here and look like a tool instead of surfing the web.

Thanks.

Edited by GotCrabs

steffiev

The GH & KH kit are titration tests. The way it works is to observe how many drops it takes for a colour change to happen.

So, just fill the test tubes to the 5mL mark and make sure to count how many drops it takes for the colour to change. Make sure to drop one by one and shake every drop for the mixture to mix evenly.

I have API GH & KH test too. For GH, the colour is from orange to green. For KH, the colour is from blue to yellow. The colour change will be very clear, it is easy to observe. The results in dGH/dKH is the number of drops added.

Good luck with your test!

Disciple

Ok you just put one drop in at a time until it changes colour for Gh it goes green and kh it goes yellow.

For the TDS do you have something like Salty shrimp? it is usually better to put the salty shrimp in before you put it in the tank to raise the tds to what you want.

inverted

You may also notice kh is yellow? Straight away if your water is low kh < 1

Edited by inverted

GotCrabs

Sorted.

KH was 3 drops

GH was 17 drops!!!

steffiev

Levels of Hardness (GH)

Degrees        Parts Per Million        Description
0 - 4 dH         0 - 70 ppm                   very soft
4 - 8 dH         70 - 140 ppm              soft
8 - 12 dH      140 - 210 ppm            medium hard
12 - 18 dH    210 - 320 ppm            fairly hard
18 - 30 dH    320 - 530 ppm            hard
Higher           > 530ppm                    Liquid rock (Lake Malawi and Los Angeles, CA)

I think the KH is considered low, and the GH is considered fairly hard.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/KH

• Like 1

GotCrabs

I think the KH is considered low, and the GH is considered fairly hard.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/KH

Excellent, thanks Steffie.

How do I lower GH then? Is it possible?

GotCrabs

Also, I have Boss Aquaria Mineral Powder, would that raise TDS levels?

Disciple

GH 17 drops!

wow maybe try do the test again and give the bottle a real good shake.

• Like 1

GotCrabs

GH 17 drops!

wow maybe try do the test again and give the bottle a real good shake.

Will do, BRB.

Disciple

I believe you want it between 4-6 for crystals but cherry's are fine up to 8 or so.

GotCrabs

Will do, BRB.

18 drops this time, 17 last time.

How do I lower it?

Disciple

Well I would say use RO water if you had some but if your shrimp have been doing fine in those WP then I would just say leave it.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help.

GotCrabs

Well I would say use RO water if you had some but if your shrimp have been doing fine in those WP then I would just say leave it.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help.

Don't have access to RO water sorry.

Disciple

Does your local store sell distilled water? maybe thats the next best option? unless you tap water has lower gh? I dont think I am doing a good job of helping lol

Squiggle

Also, I have Boss Aquaria Mineral Powder, would that raise TDS levels?

No it won't raise the GH & only slightly raise the TDS, but not enough to be a concern. :thumbsu:

• Like 1

GotCrabs

Does your local store sell distilled water? maybe thats the next best option? unless you tap water has lower gh? I dont think I am doing a good job of helping lol

Yeah I can get distilled water, get massive bottles of it actually, would there be anything I'd need to add though to the water?

Disciple

what type of shrimp are you going to have in the tank?

GotCrabs

what type of shrimp are you going to have in the tank?

CRS mate.

Disciple
perplex

do you not have any rain water tanks?

GotCrabs

do you not have any rain water tanks?

I've been using rainwater mate, I'm in the country, us country folk have like 2/3 tanks, haha/

perplex

really and your GH is that high, what is the TDS in the rain water?

maybe test just the rain water for GH

GotCrabs

really and your GH is that high, what is the TDS in the rain water?

maybe test just the rain water for GH

OK, BRB.