Water Testing Meters - What do you use?

Sprae

Just wondering what type and brand of digital test meters shrimp keepers use to test water of their tanks, tap, WC/RO mixes, etc.

I am using some no brand pH and TDS meter from china via eBay. Might need to get some new ones soon.

Sprae I was just looking this up ;) I also use a noname Tds pen from eBay, but it has started giving error messages. I want to get a new one and something to measure conductivity in Ms. Seems a lot of overseas breeders use this measurement instead of Tds. I read once you can use a multimeter which i have a few of but not really sure what I would be doing.

Today i just got a few new toys to play with and use.

i was originally using the Hanna HI 98129 - Combo pH/EC/TDS/Temp Tester w/LR EC

it is great for PH and TDS as long as you calibrate them regularly and store them in staorage solution. the EC was good as a general guide but not accurate as i needed.

so today i got the HI 98303 - EC Tester, Range up to 1990 µS/cm

which is the lowest range ec meter they have that is reasonably priced. to be sure of the accuracy in the low ranges i am trying to achive in my shrimp tanks (180-200 us) i brought the 84 us calibration solution. so far with all the testing i did today it looks to be a very good addition to my collection. as it also compensates for temp difference which when trying to read such low ranges can make a big difference.

i also have a HI 98127pHep®4 pH/Temperature Tester 0.1 pH resolution

i think they are all good at certain jobs but there is no one tester fits all.

Noob questions again;

- If I get the combo meter for pH/TDS/EC/Temp, I'll have to get calibration solutions for each of pH, TDS and EC?

- Do you find single meters better than combos?

no such thing as a noob question mate. all questions are good questions :)

the combo are good pens for keeping an eye on multiple things, but for more accurate readings of a particular parameter

i think the single purpose pens are the way to go, and it is about the same price to get individual pens as to buy a combo.

just be sure to check the most important factor when choosing any meter!!!!

read the technical data sheet!!!!

pay special attention to

Range!!! as this is the range you will recieve the readings between

Accuracy !!! as this is how much room for error there is.

example, my first multi pen measured

[TABLE=class: spec_table]

Range

EC

0 to 3999 µS/cm

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: spec_table]

Accuracy

EC/TDS

±2% F.S.

[/TABLE]

so + - 2% of F.S (full scale) is 2% of 3999. which means readings could be +-80us from what it actually is.

so if i was trying to get my water to have 200us and going off this pen it could actually be 280 or 120??

this is something you just need to be sure about with any pen..