Jump to content

Water Testing Meters - What do you use?


Recommended Posts

Just wondering what type and brand of digital test meters shrimp keepers use to test water of their tanks, tap, WC/RO mixes, etc.

I am using some no brand pH and TDS meter from china via eBay. Might need to get some new ones soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sprae I was just looking this up ;) I also use a noname Tds pen from eBay, but it has started giving error messages. I want to get a new one and something to measure conductivity in Ms. Seems a lot of overseas breeders use this measurement instead of Tds. I read once you can use a multimeter which i have a few of but not really sure what I would be doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today i just got a few new toys to play with and use.

i was originally using the Hanna HI 98129 - Combo pH/EC/TDS/Temp Tester w/LR EC

it is great for PH and TDS as long as you calibrate them regularly and store them in staorage solution. the EC was good as a general guide but not accurate as i needed.

so today i got the HI 98303 - EC Tester, Range up to 1990 µS/cm

which is the lowest range ec meter they have that is reasonably priced. to be sure of the accuracy in the low ranges i am trying to achive in my shrimp tanks (180-200 us) i brought the 84 us calibration solution. so far with all the testing i did today it looks to be a very good addition to my collection. as it also compensates for temp difference which when trying to read such low ranges can make a big difference.

i also have a HI 98127pHep®4 pH/Temperature Tester 0.1 pH resolution

i think they are all good at certain jobs but there is no one tester fits all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noob questions again;

- If I get the combo meter for pH/TDS/EC/Temp, I'll have to get calibration solutions for each of pH, TDS and EC?

- Do you find single meters better than combos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

no such thing as a noob question mate. all questions are good questions :)

the combo are good pens for keeping an eye on multiple things, but for more accurate readings of a particular parameter

i think the single purpose pens are the way to go, and it is about the same price to get individual pens as to buy a combo.

just be sure to check the most important factor when choosing any meter!!!!

read the technical data sheet!!!!

pay special attention to

Range!!! as this is the range you will recieve the readings between

Accuracy !!! as this is how much room for error there is.

example, my first multi pen measured

[TABLE=class: spec_table]



0 to 3999 µS/cm


[TABLE=class: spec_table]



±2% F.S.


so + - 2% of F.S (full scale) is 2% of 3999. which means readings could be +-80us from what it actually is.

so if i was trying to get my water to have 200us and going off this pen it could actually be 280 or 120??

this is something you just need to be sure about with any pen..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Posts

    • jayc
      Great shot of Big Mama!  I reckon, 1 week tops for hatching.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Great photo and news. The eggs are fading yellow but there are eyes so all looking good and there are a lot of eggs! Probably about half way ready to hatch.
    • d3ss3n
      Let's hope the big mama can lay safely those eggs
    • jayc
      Sorry, I'm not in that area. 🙃   I prefer Glass tanks. Acrylic scratches way too easily. Often while cleaning algae off the sides. And once it's built up enough scratches, viewing gets obstructed.    Often going with LARGE tanks, you start to fall into custom built stands. So don't be surprised if you cannot find anything suitable.   
    • sdlTBfanUK
      The easiest way wouod be to go to an aquarium shop and get a tank with a cabinet made for that tank, as that should be able to support the weight, as water in any large quantity is very heavy. I suspect it would have to be a glass aquarium at that capacity, otherwise the plastic would have to be very thick. It is possible to use a non aquarium specific piece of furniture but as you say it is quite risky, though I did help a friend do that by strengthening a nice decorative piece of furniture they had that they wanted to put a 350L tank on. It has been doing the job for 10 years but also bear in mind water marks, and we had to varnish many coats to make sure water doesn't soak into the wood etc. Its not really worth it in reality, it cost a lot of money to buy all the wood/stuff to strengthen it so was probably no cheaper, and a lot of time doing it. It may be dearer to get a combo tank and stand but much much easier and safer, and only you can know what ones you llike the appearance of? I would start off going to local stores and seeing if they have any you like, and even if not it will give you ideas?
  • Create New...