Jump to content


  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Posts

    • incomplet
      Hey everyone from SKF,  I'm a long time lurker; but recently have gotten back into the shrimp keeping hobby in the past 12 months. I'm after any constructive advice to help guide me in the right direction. I've kept some blue bolts in a 1 foot cube which has been somewhat successful; however due to an ongoing infestation of numerous hitch-hikers. I've decided to start again. There are some amphipods which are now breeding quite rapidly. Some worms which are swimming around in the aquarium, planaria which i've tried to keep at bay with No Planaria (the product doesn't work after only been used once or twice in 6 months, worked wonders the first time around). I'm planning to fish out the blue bolts and acclimatize them into a bigger tank whilst i restart the tank. I'm after any advice to see what is the best way to restart; my plans so far are as listed. 1) Remove Blue bolts and place in another tank 2) Siphon out all the gravel and bin it 3) Toss the media in the HOB; leave sponge filter in aquarium 4) Run the filter system for 1 week with a mix of bleach and water to fully rid of all the problems 5) Drain the tank and then place some new ADA soil into the base of the aquarium 6) Fill the tank with RO and seachem prime for another week 7) Empty tank and fill with RO remineralised with Salty Shrimp, new media in the HOB, sponge filter to remain the same. 8 ) undertake a 4-6 week fishless cycle   9) Reintroduce 20% of the BB colony; wait 2 weeks 10) If all is well reintroduce the other 80% after. Thinking it will take 6-8 weeks before i can start again. Thoughts?
    • incomplet
      I have used this product for the past 2 months with some good results with my blue bolts, there has been higher success rate with the shrimplets and in my opinion the survival rates are higher than they were previously. I've put in an order for some more to keep me going; i was first introduced to the product in an interview i read with Glenn Ng and decided to try the product myself. I use the recommended dosage once a day might skip a few days here and there, stronger hues in the blue from my juvenile BB's.  
    • DEL 707
      I managed to buy some kind of filter replacement kit at my LFS. Handy thing was that it come with a grill, so I just cut it to shape and shoved it in. Love the lil guys. Was thinking of giving it another week, then maybe ordering some cheery and amano shrimp from Pro-Shrimp. None of my LFS sell amano unfortunately.
    • Steensj2004
      Hmmmm, I might not risk it until the population explodes a bit more
    • sdlTBfanUK
      There is always a risk with fish but most think they are 90% safe with Pygmy Cory and will just eat the odd baby shrimp accidentally!  Simon
×
×
  • Create New...