White Cloud Minnows

Jess

So, I bought a new little nano-tank today (22 litres) :)

The lady of bought it off was very nice, but I'm not sure that she knew much about fish. She couldn't figure out why the goldfish she bought kept dying ("the man at the pet store said I could fit four goldfish in there, but they never last more than 2 months!") and really just wanted someone to take the tank off her hands.

Anyway, when I want to pick the tank up it was still full of water and held a single little White Cloud Minnow. She asked if I wanted him, because she had planned on just flushing him down the toilet, and I couldn't exactly say no. So now I have a tiny little Minnow named "Freebie" (the name the lady's children gave him) and I really don't know what to do with him.

Anyone had any experience with these guys? I know that they're supposed to be kept in schools, but he seems happy enough by himself. I have a 200 litre tank with RCS, CRS, CBS, a male Platy, a male Betta, and some some Bristlenoses - do you think it would be safe to put him in there? Is he likely to harass the Betta, or attack the shrimp?

I also have a 50 litre tank that houses 4 female Platies, so I could potentially put him in there instead. But I'm thinking of moving the single male Platy into the 50l and the 4 females into the 200l, so maybe the Minnow and male Platy could live together in the 50l?

...Basically I have no idea what I'm doing, and any advice would be fantastic ^_^;

The White cloud will be fine, but it will eat any shrimp that it can catch and fit in its mouth, that wont be many though.

They are a nice fish, I picked up some gold White clouds last night.

Bob

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking I'll move the male platy into the 50l and chuck Mr. Freebie in there with him for now. I was a little bit worried that he might be a little bit nippy with the other fish because he's all by himself, but I guess there's only one way to find out. And I can always buy him a couple of friends if necessary :)

I have to say, Bob, that my little guy really is growing on me! I think mine must be a boy because he's actually quite pretty. I always thought White Clouds looked kind of dull, but they are quite nice really. I'd love to see some photos of yours :)