New food type for shrimp - Shrimp Kandy Feast

jayc

Good to hear at least someone has tried to have a go.

Tom, always remember 4 parts ingredients to 1 part agar agar and 350ml water.

Use measuring spoons to make sure you are getting the right portions.

Funny how much this can vary, 4 to 1 means 80% to 20%. I used about 2% in my last batch of my own recipe and it still comes up like glue!

Finally managed to get pictures of the shrimp enjoying their new food...

20150213_182616_zpse6b03b0f.jpg

20150213_182556_zpsefae7199.jpg

Forgot to say this at the time.

Nice shrimp Jayc!

Jayc, you never cease to amaze!! What a brilliant solution and formula!

I will have to give this a try! Bring on the Shrimp Kandy Feast!

Great post, but how long can it be stored, and does this need to be refrigerated???

Sushant, no preservatives have been added, it is all natural. My batch has been ok since 7th February kept in the fridge. <edit> in an airtight container.

Edited by jayc

Forgot to say this at the time.

Nice shrimp Jayc!

Thanks!

Jayc, you never cease to amaze!! What a brilliant solution and formula!

I will have to give this a try! Bring on the Shrimp Kandy Feast!

Thanks Newbreed.

Be sure to report back if you try the Shrimp Kandy.

Nice recipe jayc, thanks for the point to this thread.

I have been using a similar process with agar-agar for years for my cichlid food. As mentioned in the other thread I am going to readjust my recipe based on your suggestions to come up with a shrimp version. I already have the agar, spirulina, and Astaxanthin, and I just ordered the Chlorella and Bee Pollen.

BTW, here in the US most of the Chlorella is marketed as "cracked cell" or "whole cell", does this make any difference to the shrimp? The blurbs "say" that humans dont get all the goody out of it unless the cells are cracked, it just passes through us. I seldom trust health food advertising though, a whole lot of snake oil being pushed.

In my fish recipes I always added fresh garlic as an attractant and alleged digestive aide, is garlic of any benefit to shrimp?

A note about agar. it comes in powder or flake form. I have found I get much more consistent results if I let it soak in room temp water prior to cooking it. About 5 minutes for the powder form, but I actually prefer the flakes and they need about a 15 minute soak. I read about this on a culinary forum somewhere, pretty SOP for the chefs to do this. Before doing this I had an occasional batch that just wouldn’t gel for some reason, since doing this it has never failed me since. Another thing the cooking pros will tell you do is bring your ingredients up to a hot temperature before combining them in the agar solution. Probably doesn’t matter with the powders being used here, but with the wet bulky ingredients like raw shrimp and fresh veggies it made a huge difference.

I also found that making bigger batches suited me. So I will put the mix in mini ice cube trays, and then freeze them. Once frozen, pop the little ice cubes out and stick them in a baggie in the freezer. Extends the shelf life to about 6 months. I soak the cubes in a shot glass of water till they thaw before throwing them in the tank.

• Like 1

No problemo Mike.

Cracked or Broken cell Chlorella just makes it easier to digest for us humans. How they measure digestibility is beyond me. Like you said, probably snake oil.

However, for an animal that eats algae, like shrimps, I doubt they will have any issues. A shrimp will have a digestive system that will be able to handle algae since this is part of their normal diet. So choose which ever is cheaper or more readily available. If price isn't a factor, then go with the cracked cell variety. At least you could eat it too. I have so much chlorella, that I have recently started adding it to my smoothies !!  :rock:

Garlic isn't necessary in this recipe. You can add it for it's nutritional value, but it's not needed for an attractant. 

The shrimps will swarm onto this food without garlic. Chlorella and Spirulina have a very strong odour by themselves. Those smells will provide a more natural attractant than garlic. Save your garlic for other uses.

High heats are not good for Chlorella, destroys it's nutritional value. So do NOT add them while the agar is still on the stove.

You can add the other ingredients in while it is still on the stove. But let the agar cool as much as you can before combining the Chlorella. This is the tricky part. When to add Chlorella to the agar BEFORE it solidifies. 

I let my agar mix cool for 10 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't set, then add Chlorella and stir vigorously again to mix that powder in. The pro might have been right about adding ingredients while the agar is hot, but they weren't cooking agar with Chlorella.

Nice tip about presoaking the agar. I didn't have any issues with it gelling up, but will try it next batch anyway.

My shrimps are looking super healthy after 3 weeks on this food.

Where are you getting your Astaxanthin powder from?

I need to source some. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

I get my Astaxanthin Powder HERE.

What is somewhat strange about it it is that they are the less expensive source. Usually, aquatic sources are more expensive than if found elswhere, but the heathfood places are about double what these guys are charging.

• Like 2

I get my Astaxanthin Powder HERE.

What is somewhat strange about it it is that they are the less expensive source. Usually, aquatic sources are more expensive than if found elswhere, but the heathfood places are about double what these guys are charging.

Thanks, but too bad the shipping kills it.

$7 product but $50!! for shipping.

Edited by jayc

You can buy Genchem astaxanthin from Age of Aquariums. Otherwise you'll have to settle for other products with high astaxanthin levels, like krill oil or dried red shrimp from the asian grocery. 

Yeah I know. But it's not the price I am after for 50gm. Thanks anyway.

<edit> - as a clarification - I'm not sure the Genchem product is 100% astaxanthin powder. It's got some other filler. So how much astaxanthin is in that product?

Edited by jayc

Actually,

If I could find enough people for a group buy for astaxanthin, say 5-6,

then the link Mike posted above http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/astaxanthin-powder.html

The astaxanthin become worth the shipping.

Shipping for 1 pack is USD$41.50.

But shipping for 5 or 6 or even 7 packs is USD $45.75.

If the shipping is split with a group, then each astaxanthin pack is only USD$16.15 (for a 5 group) or USD$14.63 (for a 6 group) or USD$13.54 (for a 7 group).

Compared to a USD$47.50 for a single purchase.

I might start a group buy.

• Like 1

I would be interested to trying some out.

Shaun,

Astaxanthin, if kept dry, in it's container, has a shelf life of around 4 years.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally gave JayC recipes a go.  Cost- Chlorella powder $14 (chemist warehouse) , Bee pollen $28, & agar ager powder $18. Followed JayC instructions precisely.  It’s evident the ingredients would last for a number of years, so you may want to go half’s with a mate. The mixture is also ample & would last for months. Pretty satisfied for my 1st attempted. I did notices that a fair amount of the ingredients had settled on the bottom. I with try placing it in the freezer next time for 20 minutes. Been in the water for over 3 hours & remains solid, not braking down. Shrimp went crazy over it.

Thanks JayC, looks like a great low cost beneficial food.   

20150327_165255_zpskpwzayjx.jpg

20150327_201026_zpsuiiic7ks.jpg

20150327_201658_zpsoi6z8grl.jpg

20150327_201646_zps8ylbi7mu.jpg

• Like 2

Look at them crowding for a bite!

woohoo. Pretty much mine does too.

Looks like you could have added more chlorella, still a bit pale in colour at the top.

Keep the rest in an air tight container and use clean utensils to cut into smaller pieces.

Yes, just realised that I didn't follow your recipes precisely, my bad !!!!! only put 1 teaspoon of chlorella powder. But they still love it.  :yes man: 

• Like 1

But they still love it.  

I can see by the photo. 

• Like 1

Going to redo tomorrow as per you recipes. Have you started a recipes to include the astaxanthin powder???. 

Going to redo tomorrow as per you recipes. Have you started a recipes to include the astaxanthin powder???. 

Nope, but I will soon. Just going to finish the last batch of Shrimp Kandy Feast first.

I'm going to do 

3 teaspoon Chlorella,

1/2 teaspoon Astaxanthin,

1/2 teaspoon Bee Pollen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to add some blood worms to thei mix ?

I feed our shrimp blood worms once a month if that