New food type for shrimp - Shrimp Kandy Feast

jayc

I've just made myself a homemade food for the shrimps that they seem to love.
The little buggers have completely swarmed the piece I threw in.

Yes it's a bit of a teaser. More to come later.
I'll share the ingredients.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 6

Alright, I wont tease you any longer.

I was going to get photos of the shrimp eating, but that can wait.

Alright, I wont tease you any longer.

I was going to get photos of the shrimp eating, but that can wait.

dont worry man just playing.

• HOF Member

Thanks JayC. I have been looking for a mixing medium for the powdered food I make - agar sounds perfect!

Your recipe sounds very nutritious too !

I too just made my own shrimp food and everything went very very well! I had 9 of 10 shrimp on it compared to 2 of 10 which I get from feeding benibachi red bee ambitious or bee pollen alone. And then later I found 2 Celestial Pearl Danio Fry, great night for me.

• Like 1

Nice work Jayc, and thanks for sharing the recipe. I've been feeding with the super green powder (Spirulina, Chlorella, and Wheatgrass so I think it's one you mean) from the health food store. Just tapping a little onto the surface of the water and letting it settle around the tank in its own time. The shrimp are doing well on it, and I think that if I get around to making it up with agar agar it will be a hit. As it is the shrimp often don't wait for it to settle, they swim upside down along the surface of the water when I drop some powder in.

I'd be interested in knowing if you find a good source for powdered astaxanthin.

Thanks JayC. I have been looking for a mixing medium for the powdered food I make - agar sounds perfect!

Your recipe sounds very nutritious too !

Thanks Ineke. Definitely try agar for your powdered foods.

If you keep cory or catfish, this would be perfect for bottom feeding fish as well.

I too just made my own shrimp food and everything went very very well! I had 9 of 10 shrimp on it compared to 2 of 10 which I get from feeding benibachi red bee ambitious or bee pollen alone. And then later I found 2 Celestial Pearl Danio Fry, great night for me.

What did you use, and how did you make it?

Do tell.

Nice work Jayc, and thanks for sharing the recipe. I've been feeding with the super green powder (Spirulina, Chlorella, and Wheatgrass so I think it's one you mean) from the health food store. Just tapping a little onto the surface of the water and letting it settle around the tank in its own time. The shrimp are doing well on it, and I think that if I get around to making it up with agar agar it will be a hit. As it is the shrimp often don't wait for it to settle, they swim upside down along the surface of the water when I drop some powder in.

I'd be interested in knowing if you find a good source for powdered astaxanthin.

Morgan, yes that's the one I'm talking about.

Try it mixed in the agar, less waste and polluting the tank.

I'll let SKF know if I find asthaxanthin powder.

But if anyone knows where to get some without incurring huge shipping fees, let us know.

What did you use, and how did you make it?

Do tell.

Might have to keep this one a secret as I may end up selling it later on once I get it right. Keep a heads up on the Adelaiade Shrimp Community FaceBook page as I'm thinking of giving out free samples first.

• Like 1

Interested in trying this out.

Just a question.

Already have a green powder I don't really use (cause of the taste) Just wanted to know if it would be safe to use or not.

It contains

Barley Grass

Wheat Grass

Spirulina

Chlorella

Stevia

Now it's the Stevia one that I was unsure of.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Might have to keep this one a secret as I may end up selling it later on once I get it right. Keep a heads up on the Adelaiade Shrimp Community FaceBook page as I'm thinking of giving out free samples first.

Ah too bad. Well, as you can see I don't keep secrets. At least not when it comes to the shrimp hobby.

I believe in sharing the knowledge.

But if anyone came up with an Agar food base for shrimps, you know where you saw it first  :D

Interested in trying this out.

Just a question.

Already have a green powder I don't really use (cause of the taste) Just wanted to know if it would be safe to use or not.

It contains

Barley Grass

Wheat Grass

Spirulina

Chlorella

Stevia

Now it's the Stevia one that I was unsure of.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Hi Tomrum.

My initial reaction was 'no' to stevia.

Then 2nd reaction was, hmm I don't know enough about stevia and artificial sweeteners use with shrimp/fish to be very sure that it's no good for them.

After all, stevia is derived from plants, and it only tastes sweet but has no carbohyrates.

There hasn't been enough experience and evidence with Stevia and shrimp for me to comment on. 

So the answer is, I don't know either.

I can't think of any reason why it would not be ok, unlike Sugar. Definitely NO to sugar.

You could try it out on culls, if you have a cull tank.

But best not to test it out on expensive shrimp.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3

Morgan, yes that's the one I'm talking about.

Try it mixed in the agar, less waste and polluting the tank.

I'll definitely look into it next time I'm at the health food store. I practically live in that place already. I find that the particles aren't too small, the water isn't getting cloudy, it just floats around until it settles. I was hoping that a powder would be more conducive to getting some of my DRN larvae to survive.

My initial reaction was 'no' to stevia.

Then 2nd reaction was, hmm I don't know enough about stevia and artificial sweeteners use with shrimp/fish to be very sure that it's no good for them.

After all, stevia is derived from plants, and it only tastes sweet but has no carbohyrates.

The powder I've been using has Stevia in it. The shrimp have been on it a couple of months and no ill effects, these are cherries, DRNs and DAS. I figured that since it's a natural rather than synthetic product, and practically inert for humans, it probably wouldn't do any harm.

Thanks for the idea Jayc.

Ron and I had been talking about recipes for making shrimp food with "super foods" in it this last week. We had struggled with any idea for a "combining agent" we were thinking of egg yoke. Agar Agar is such a Ingenious idea haha Mum uses it to make desert quite often haha Thanks for sharing.

I have also started been using more natural food leaves and flowers from one of your posts over the last week. I believe I have started seeing an improvement in color and shell. I am interested in trying the recipe now too.

The powder I've been using has Stevia in it. The shrimp have been on it a couple of months and no ill effects, these are cherries, DRNs and DAS. I figured that since it's a natural rather than synthetic product, and practically inert for humans, it probably wouldn't do any harm.

Thanks for that, good to know. I guess tomrum can rest easier if he decides to use it.

Thanks for the idea Jayc.

Ron and I had been talking about recipes for making shrimp food with "super foods" in it this last week. We had struggled with any idea for a "combining agent" we were thinking of egg yoke. Agar Agar is such a Ingenious idea haha Mum uses it to make desert quite often haha Thanks for sharing.

I have also started been using more natural food leaves and flowers from one of your posts over the last week. I believe I have started seeing an improvement in color and shell. I am interested in trying the recipe now too.

Good to hear mate. Let us know how your shrimp like it too.

From what I have read in researching agar, it's pretty good for humans too, if you don't coat it in too much sugar.

Egg yoke was a good idea, but I needed something that was firmer and could keep for longer. And agar has fit all the bills.

I'm glad you are also adding variety with flowers.

I still haven't had a chance to take a photo.

Shrimp was not fed today, since I fed them so much yesterday testing this new food.

Great write up Jayc, going to give it a go this weekend & thanks for always share your ideas. Great for the hobby & yes seen it here 1st. 

Have you tried any of the Kale powders?

Great write up Jayc, going to give it a go this weekend & thanks for always share your ideas. Great for the hobby & yes seen it here 1st. 

Have you tried any of the Kale powders?

Cheers.

And no, I have not tried Kale powder with agar, but I have Kale based shrimp food already.

Kale is another super green food, so it won't hurt adding it.

If I had only 1 choice between Kale and Chlorella, I'd pick Chlorella. But if you have both, go ahead and add them. It will still work. 

The possibilities and ingredient list is endless.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff dude, you definitely beat me to it, I've been working on a gel version of Crack that is along the same lines as the Repashy foods, mine has the same basic process but the green mix is way different, more aimed at trace elements & minerals than proteins, just keep an eye out for it soon. :thumbsu:

• Like 2

Finally managed to get pictures of the shrimp enjoying their new food...

20150213_182616_zpse6b03b0f.thumb.JPG.808ebef7a09c009ea0268781b9ecebbd.JPG20150213_182556_zpsefae7199.thumb.JPG.c9bc2ab7994164f68383d3493e2e92bf.JPG

Edited by jayc
  • Like 8

They look like they are enjoying that.