filling a new tank with water

Zorba

Hi

About to set up my first shrimp tank. I will be using black earth premium normal as the substrate

My question relates to the water. I do not have a water tank or R/O system and from what I understand if I add tap water the substrates life span is significantly reduced. If so can I condition the water in buckets ?  If there is such a product what is it?

My tank is small being approximately 50 litres  (60cm)

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

You could treat it with a product like prime and leave it out for a couple of days....that would remove the chlorine and chloramine but wouldn't sort the ph.

If that's what you got to work with...it will be fine. Especially if your keeping Rcs.

If keeping bee shrimp like crs you want to get serious ...buy a cheap Ro unit off eBay and remineralise it.

As I have never kept shrimp, I have decided to start with cherries

Should I set the PH levels in the buckets and then fill the tank?

No don't play around with ph outside of your tank. You'll only create swings which aren't desirable

Cherry Shrimp like the water parameters. PH: 6.4 – 7.6 KH: 0 – 10 GH: 4 – 14 TDS: 80 – 200 Water temp: 18 – 23.

But do okay even outside these. Just keep your nitrates down.

I think you'll be fine using Brisbane water treated with prime or similar for cherries.

Not sure what black earth premium buffers to? But it doesn't matter if it expires earlier as the cherries will handle the increased ph.

Hello Zorba,

If you plan to use tap water there is a product called Supachlor Town and Tank that comes highly recommended which you can use to condition the water. Please have a quick look at Jayc post here http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/4082-the-best-water-conditioner-in-my-opinion/

Another good habit is to "age" the tap water with the conditioner a few days before you use it. I used to age my water for about a week before I needed it other ppl may have different opinions about this. In the end the best option is using RO water as you have a bit more control over your water parameters which is quite important.

I hope this help. A few other very useful posts are:

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/4228-gh-camg-ratio/

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/4249-why-the-need-for-calcium-magnesium/

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/3046-understanding-important-water-parameters-for-shrimp/

I know it is a lot for you as a beginner but I wish I had read these before I set up my first tank. :D

Not sure what black earth premium buffers to? But it doesn't matter if it expires earlier as the cherries will handle the increased ph.

BEP typically buffers to around 6.5-6.8.

6.5 if you use RO. 

Around 6.8 if you use tapwater.

Cal Labs BEP is a good quality substrate. It won't loose buffering too fast. 

I have a planted tank with it that's 9 months old and it's still buffering well.

Is buying and using demineralised water from the supermarket ok?

It is only a 50 litre tank so will only need 9 odd 5 litre containers, it is not that expensive

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the plan

I am thinking to buy R/O water from a dispenser machine at my local shopping centre. The tank will hold approximately 50 litres. Do I treat this water with salty shrimp in the buckets before I add them to the tank or do I put the water in the tank and then treat with salty shrimp?

I have the black earth premium substrate and plan to start with cherries

Thanks

Andy