Neo's Journal

neo-2FX

Unfortunately, not that well Crabsman!

Looks like something was going wrong while I was away. Algae friggen everywhere and lots of missing shrimp :(

There are however, quite a few little babies floating around.

I had cleaned the glass for the photo and trimmed the pot HC. The plants should have been overgrowing, not sure what went wrong.

Parameters look OK relative to what they were before I left.

PH - 7.8

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

KH - 5

GH - 6

However, Dad decided to do a decent water change before I came back so maybe the parameters are lying to me? Nitrates maybe high?

Not sure atm.

IMG_20150830_212948~3.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, that's still going! Can't see much, due to algae, but the two small endlers have grown in there!

I'll be doing some maintenance over the coming days to see if I can get the tank back on track.

• Like 1

Will do mate, tomorrow though!

Time for some sleep soon, need to get into the rhythm again so don't cop much jetlag.

Yeah I wasn't expecting you to do it this minute, I'm not that much of a prick, although some would argue that, haha.

Yeah, keen to suss it out and see how it's going hey, cheers.

• Like 1

Nice tank Neo.

I am planning to have a HC carpet tank look like yours soon. Where did you hide your CO2 diffuser? :P

Sweet tank hey, no co2 though, unreal hey, done an awesome job!

Really? I tried HC without CO2 and it died off :(

No CO2 here. What soil did you use? Ferts? I think the key to the success without CO2 is initially planting in larger clumps so it survives. I didn't initially plant one by one. Just took small clumps and planted. See my first post.

Thanks for the tips Neo. I'll try that.

Yeah, I did plant them a bit one by one. I used ADA Amazonia.

It's amazing how your HC is now without CO2.

• Like 1

Should work. Also, the lighting and depth. Mine is 30cm but with a decent bottom layer so it's actually like 25cm with my soil taking it up. Up Aqua Z light. Works well!

• Like 1

Still easily one of my fave tanks on the forum, simple set up, not high tech, just looked after.

Thanks bud! It's real easy looking after this tank as long as you keep everything trimmed lol.

Doing abit more maintenance on it, HC needs a trim.

Still trying to figure out what went wrong because I'm missing LOTS of shrimp. I think someone sprayed something in my room or did something silly and won't own up to it lol. I did notice one of the DAS' body looked more white than normal and on closer inspection his insides looked really white-ish. Hmm.

Anyway, it looks back on track now. Shrimp are out and about and eating.

Small nano isn't amazing but I'll upload a picture in a sec.

Edited by neo-2FX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, the HC just keeps growing like crazy!

Have recently got some cardinals and rummy nose in the tank. Will get a snap later and post.

Just waiting for my other tank to finish cycling so I can move my CRS and some chameleons across.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sooooo whens it reopening? :P

tumblr_nzq1rboNpL1qeg9myo1_500.gif

Edited by buck
  • Like 2

After a big re-scape, it's done. Slowly growing in.

Got some of @ineke's Taitibees and they are doing really well!

Can't wait to see how this tank goes.

After taking out all the Seiryu rock, the ph has dropped from an astounding 8.5 to 6.9. Slowly decreasing with IAL etc. so I don't shock the shrimp :)

Big thanks to @Disciple for all his assistance!

IMG_20160301_214736.jpg

IMG_20160303_104044.jpg

IMG_20160309_191341.jpg

IMG_20160309_191404.jpg

IMG_20160309_192825.jpg

IMG_20160309_192835.jpg

• Like 2

• HOF Member

Wow that was a big change in ph! The tank looks great  the shrimp aren't bad either ??

• Like 1

The tank looks totally different. It seems like you are headed in the right direction. 

I cant wait till the moss grows and spreads on the drift wood. It will look awesome.

Edited by Disciple
  • Like 1