Tiger Shrimp Substrate

jzang

I am thinking of setting up a Blue tiger colony. But I cant seem to find a substrate that suits their ideal parameters.
So what substrates do you guys use with your OEBTs?

I'm with Squiggle. Benibachi soil here.

OEBT's will be fine from 6.5 to 7.5 pH. But the key it to maintain stability with no quick swings in pH.

Benibachi will give you around 6.6 to 6.8 once it has cycled after a few months.

As the soil looses it's buffering characteristics, it will drift to 7 slowly. 

They trick is to not use too much Benibachi soil, as it can go lower than 6.5 if you use too much.

I used about 2cm soil depth in my OEBT tank, and have them in pH 6.8.

I have now acclimatised them to the same water parameters as CRS (and they are now in the same tank for a red/white tibee project).

Probably best check with the person you are buying from, and match that WP closely.

Drip acclimatising them will take care of any parameter outside the original water parameter.

Tigers prefer a higher (slightly) GH than crystals. My tank is around GH 7 or 8. And TDS is around 180 -190.

Seems easy for me to reach those parameters with Benibachi + CaSO4 and MgSO4 dosing. A small piece of those white mineral stones (Montmorillonite) also seems to help keep it at those levels very consistently.

I don't know what the KH preference is for OEBTs, but my KH was 0-1 (low). As is most of my tanks.

OEBTs also like cool water. 22-23 DegC. They don't do well in warmer water, at least mine didn't, until I got a chiller.

It's not only about pH that impacts the shrimp.

The soil also helps control GH & KH. You can't do that with inert substrate.

If you can't find Benibachi, I would also recommend Cal Labs Black Earth Premium substrate. Again, don't use to much that it send pH plunging.

Edited by jayc

How about the Up Aqua shrimp soil? I hear it loses its buffering capabilities within a few months. So I guess it will be fine for the tigers after the first couple months right?

Not to be judgmental or anything, but it seems like almost everyone on this forum uses and is biased to benibachi. Why is that?

Why is that?

Why? You said it yourself.

How about the Up Aqua shrimp soil? I hear it loses its buffering capabilities within a few months. /quote]

We are not completely bias to Benibachi, at least not me.

We also recommend Black Earth Premium from Cal Labs.

It is also partially because we have so few good choices in brands. Only a few are worth recommending.

After all, you ask for OEBT substrate recommendations. If you asked for Cherry substrates we would have said any inert substrate is sufficient.

Edited by jayc

Yes but I am saying there are other brands out there such as ADA and Mr. Aqua.  Anyways will the up aqua work for tigers?

ADA is also a good substrate too. But the lengthy cycle times because of the amount of ammonia is lower on the list of recommendations. There are better substrates on the market now, depending on use.

If all you can get is ADA, then that is the one we would recommend.

But if you have a choice ...

I've used the whole range of ADA, Benibachi, Cal Labs BEP, and tried to go cheap with Up & Mr Aqua for all my various fish and shrimp tanks. My favourite is Cal Labs BEP for planted, fish, Crystal, Cherry, Tiger shrimps.

Benibachi for Taiwan bees, tibees, OEBTs, Mischlings, etc.

You can give up aqua a go, and let us know your opinion. But it's not a substrate we will recommend over the ones mentioned already.

Mr Aqua and Up Aqua tend to loose buffering too quickly, and turns to mud too easily for recommendations, it means having to change the substrate more often. Any savings in the initial purchase is lost.

If we get more choices in Oz that are better than the ones mentioned, we will happily recommend it over Benibachi.

+1 on the advise shared....my experience with up Aqua soil the lost ability of buffering within 6. Months, and that they break down causing aforecer cloudy tank......tanks been established for 18+ months so perhaps they've improved their formulation ?

My OEBT colony was established on a 50cm benebachi soil v 80+cm for TB's. PH @ 6.8-7.2, GH @ 6 and Temp @ 23, gave me the best success....... Pic speaks for itself.

7458952B-0F7C-4248-9CBD-C444666A7ADB.jpg

a 50cm benebachi soil v 80+cm for TB's.

50cm!

I think you mean 50mm.

50 cm would fill some tanks completely lol.

+1 on the advise shared....my experience with up Aqua soil the lost ability of buffering within 6. Months, and that they break down causing aforecer cloudy tank......tanks been established for 18+ months so perhaps they've improved their formulation ?

My OEBT colony was established on a 50cm benebachi soil v 80+cm for TB's. PH @ 6.8-7.2, GH @ 6 and Temp @ 23, gave me the best success....... Pic speaks for itself.

7458952B-0F7C-4248-9CBD-C444666A7ADB.jpg

:startle:  That's some very nice OEBT BB!

Wondering if you will have some for sale in a couple of months :D

Yes but I am saying there are other brands out there such as ADA and Mr. Aqua.  Anyways will the up aqua work for tigers?

imo Mr Aqua is a good soil. I have a tank set up almost 2yrs and another for 1 yr with and its definitely not mud and still holds WP similar to benibachi. I am using RO with salty shrimp though so i think it helps with the life span of the soil because it not really buffering that much.

Having said that its hard to argue with the above pics.

Benibachi is the top soil for top shrimp as its definitely tried and tested among many and with an OEBT colony its not time to take a chance on a cheaper soil.

ADA in theory doesnt seem the ideal soil as its primary function is to help plants not shrimp

Never tried up aqua soil as I too heard negative reports.