Inspired to get into cherrys again!

newbreed

So I haven't kept cherries or tigers for awhile, mainly focusing on TB and CRS!

But one of our members kindly posted pics of some AMAZING cherries they are selling!

And (have I mentioned I am impulsive???) after setting up the planted tank I was motivated.

I had a dalbarb corner tank that has been unused and unloved for 18 months gathering dust.

This needed a revamp.

As the colour of the shrimp in question may not stand out on black gravel, I have used a red variety of the clay soil used in the planted tank thread.

post-558-0-60546400-1421145976_thumb.jpg

This stains the water initially somewhat but oh well!!

As it is a neutral substrate I have used the Salty Shrimp Gh/Kh+ to bring it up to cherry/tiger friendly parameters (Thanks for the advice Gbang!) Also added some bee balls and an Oxydator too!

I had an Eheim Professional 3 sitting in its box, this has now found it's purpose.

And I have placed a couple of the new BioSpon 58L Filters in here too.

post-558-0-54339500-1421145996_thumb.jpg

Sexy huh?!?

• Like 1

So I let it sit overnight as, again, it got to the point I really couldn't see what I was doing in there!

Next day it had cleared and the water reached the desired temp.

I took some cycled Marinepure Spheres from my rack sump and put them into the Eheim.

I took a couple of sponges from existing tanks and gave them a good squeeze to get things kicked off.

I had heaps of Mayaca Fluitans and some other stems left over so thought it might be nice to provide a forest for new tankmates.

I also had a spare feeding tube and bowl that I put in place.

So the cycle begins.

post-558-0-61189700-1421146381_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-09570400-1421146397_thumb.jpg

Think the new shrimp will be happy in here soon.

• Like 1

So I haven't kept cherries or tigers for awhile, mainly focusing on TB and CRS!

Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait... You kept Tigers? As in "ROAR" Tigers? HAHA.

• Like 1

No more new tanks this week!! Promise!!

• Like 1

Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait... You kept Tigers? As in "ROAR" Tigers? HAHA.

Lol! Tiger in a tank!! Where's Serkans picture when you need it!!!

• Like 1

I had an Eheim Professional 3 sitting in its box, this has now found it's purpose.

What the... ... ... Mate, how could you let such a good filter sitting in a box and be wasted? LOL!!!

By the way, nice setup you have there. ;)

I saw you had that latest sponge + bio-ball pre-filter gadget installed. Let me know how well it will work. Many people are asking for my opinion, including breeder, suppliers and resellers, which I don't know why. -___-"

Since you are using GH/KH+ and I guess you will have mild alkaline tank. Do note that mild alkaline tank although is able to clear the ammonia faster, it may need to age a little longer for bacteria to cover every where before you put in shrimp. This is because a tiny bit of ammonium will convert into significant amount of ammonia.

In addition, if your water is 2dKH and above, go for 7 to 8dGH. Somehow, increase of GH is able to stabilise the CO2-HCO3 equilibrium. I think it got to do with Ca and Mg is able to hold onto CO3 with a stronger bond. This will prevent sudden spike of CO2 and pH fluctuation in high carbonate environment.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

you won't need more tanks you will need more rooms- you must be taking over the house by now>

Love the look of the tank Jamie- so what Cherries are you getting?

Lol, you are shocking dude, I'll look out for next weeks tank thread, hahaha! :lol:

Please don't joke Squiggs, it may happen!!

What the... ... ... Mate, how could you let such a good filter sitting in a box and be wasted? LOL!!!

By the way, nice setup you have there. ;)

I saw you had that latest sponge + bio-ball pre-filter gadget installed. Let me know how well it will work. Many people are asking for my opinion, including breeder, suppliers and resellers, which I don't know why. -___-"

Since you are using GH/KH+ and I guess you will have mild alkaline tank. Do note that mild alkaline tank although is able to clear the ammonia faster, it may need to age a little longer for bacteria to cover every where before you put in shrimp. This is because a tiny bit of ammonium will convert into significant amount of ammonia.

In addition, if your water is 2dKH and above, go for 7 to 8dGH. Somehow, increase of GH is able to stabilise the CO2-HCO3 equilibrium. I think it got to do with Ca and Mg is able to hold onto CO3 with a stronger bond. This will prevent sudden spike of CO2 and pH fluctuation in high carbonate environment.

Thank you so much for this advice, and thank you for breaking it down into terms I can understand. I will run a series of tests tomorrow or Friday.

I am lucky I travel around 2000kms for work each week, so usually spend my breaks dropping into local aquariums, lol.

After the Aust distributor of Eheim recently fired its sales rep in Victoria one shop, who I will visit tomorrow, had reduced their products to close to wholesale to get them out of his store. I felt I should help him out. The canister was reduced to $190 so I really couldn't refuse. It is brilliant with adjustable water flow, so easy to use!

He was also the shop where I bought the inert substrate from, may have to get more if available.

I will let you know how the BioSpon go. I will take some pics over weekend, the design is very clever, they will be easy to maintain.

you won't need more tanks you will need more rooms- you must be taking over the house by now>

Love the look of the tank Jamie- so what Cherries are you getting?

I'm sorry Ineke but I can't say, I am just too excited!!! :in-love:

Edited by newbreed

I am lucky I travel around 2000kms for work each week, so usually spend my breaks dropping into local aquariums, lol.

After the Aust distributor of Eheim recently fired its sales rep in Victoria one shop, who I will visit tomorrow, had reduced their products to close to wholesale to get them out of his store. I felt I should help him out. The canister was reduced to $190 so I really couldn't refuse. It is brilliant with adjustable water flow, so easy to use!

He was also the shop where I bought the inert substrate from, may have to get more if available.

I will let you know how the BioSpon go. I will take some pics over weekend, the design is very clever, they will be easy to maintain.

Sounds like you and I are doing the same type of job. Maybe we are colleague. LOL!!!

Do they have Pro 3e? I love Pro 3e. It automatically adjust the pump power accordingly when it detected the flow speed as drop.

• Like 1

Sounds like you and I are doing the same type of job. Maybe we are colleague. LOL!!!

Do they have Pro 3e? I love Pro 3e. It automatically adjust the pump power accordingly when it detected the flow speed as drop.

I am only a sales representative, so maybe similar KMS but I am in car driving more than half my day!!

I must admit I did not see a 3e there, but thankfully pay day today, so depending what else he has left on my visit tomorrow I might be able to start stocking up for next tank,  oops!!!

He also had his K1 media at half price, grabbed that for next rack too!!!

I sometimes wish I was more sensible in my spending.

Edited by newbreed

Oh... Then it is different. I travel 3,000 miles by air. I will love to drive/ fly the plane myself but I doubt the pilot will let me to. LOL!!!

It is hard to be sensible with this hobby, mate. ;)

• Like 1

I will love to drive/ fly the plane myself but I doubt the pilot will let me to. LOL!!!

You could always bang on the cockpit door and ask him! He might let you! :D

Sensible is overrated!!

so depending what else he has left on my visit tomorrow I might be able to start stocking up for next tank,  oops!!!

He also had his K1 media at half price, grabbed that for next rack too!!!.

Hahaha, I knew it! :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Don't know if I can tell you!!

It is a mish mash and I am doing something that I always recommend not to!

I have some beautiful Snowballs (thanks BB and Keego) and Gbangs Blue Dreams in there. I know they will cross breed but not selling any young from this tank so not an issue.

Also a mixture of tigers. OEBT, blondes, tangerine and some white mischling type (blonde x red).

Some interesting tiger babies coming through with red stripes. And lots of blondes and blues. But again as the lines aren't pure they are all just keepers.

Luckily only one death in the tank since it started, she was an old Red cherry I picked up from a LFS as a guinea pig in the beginning!

It's doing well. Looking forward to eventually having more cherry/tiger tanks so I can seperate lines!!

I haven't been paying it enough attention but it is just powering on!!

One thing I have noticed is a lack of algae growth on side of tank. Thinking the plants must be removing nitrates pretty well.

32ebf187a159399f8ed4827ed7083279.jpg

• Like 2

Cool thanks for the update...... The tank does look super clean

Yeah, pity about the mess around it!! lol