Subwassertang

ineke

• HOF Member

What do you do with your Subwassertang? I have a large amount of it and usually tie it to mesh letting it get quite bushy but would like to do something else with it. It grows well in low light and no Co2 - well it does in my tanks. I'm interested in seeing what others do with this moss as it doesn't actually attach to anything.

I have few pieces of persplex sheet when I made some breeding tanks to tie with. I also put subwasertang into a bowl/container and let it grow like that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is tied to a piece of DW with a very thin fishing line. It grows very dense as in when you pat it, it is like a dense iceberg lettuce. This is with medium to high light with CO2 and liquid ferts. I had a small clump tied to a rock and placed in a vase with bamboos which sits on the dining room table with lighting otherthan room light at times and that did not grow at all. It just remained the same size after 6 months. I have now taken it out and placed between two plastic mesh guards and weighed down with a river pebble in the middle and placed in my tank. Will see how it goes.

On a side note, I was regularly selling clumps of mine when the lighting wasn't as high and it was not as dense. I figure that the Subwassertang needs light but not huge amounts of it. You can see the round ball in the middle of my tank

full-tank-shot_zps673120dd.jpg

Pic showing the main bunch and the one in the mesh:

subwassertangs_zps981eccae.jpg

• Like 1

Hi zorba, cheers. The lights are detailed in my journal. Basically gutted offroad LED lights using 1W Philips luxeon rebel chips totalling 36W plus other auxiliary LEDs.

No picture as my lights are off.... But I have mine layed over a rock with a hairnet...... It has since grown through and has made a nice compact looking ball

• 3 weeks later...

I tied some down on SS mesh and used it as a foreground - a very fluffy/bushy easy peasy foreground lol (the kuhli loaches love sleeping in it). I just ripped a bunch of that up and tied it to some A4 mesh to make a background, hopefully it'll look good once it grows out! 

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the sub as a foreground, please excuse the algae and general dirtiness of the tank lol, I've been a very lazy girl. Have actually been meaning to rip this tank down and reset - but like I said, I'm lazy :P

post-452-0-07508400-1423141084_thumb.jpg

• Like 1