Feel bad

Daydream

Once again had to tell someone they have been ripped off.Had a fellow hobbiest around today to trade a few tigerbee for a blonde tiger girl only to have to tell him that his blonde tigers he has bought are in fact tigerbee not tigers.He felt horrible as he didn't want to wast my time.Explained to him that its better to know and to stay and look around.sent him on his way with a few more tigerbee to add to his tank.At least now he will know the difference next time he goes to buy.And as for the breeder that supplied them they have lost a good customer as he turns up on time with the right money and a polite attitude.

• Like 2

It's sad to see when this happens. Lucky he had you to turn the negative experience into a positive. I wonder how many future keepers we lose from the hobby as a result of this kind of poor selling behaviour.

+1 for being a positive influence on the hobby.

You did remind him about joining SKF, right? 

Maybe for next time he could get a second opinion from us.

• Like 1

Yes I did remind him But I think I can tell the diff and it was plain as day.Was no need for second opp.Dont think the breeder is on here but who knows.

• Like 1

Yeah we have a pet store where I am and they name fish under other fish, so if you don't know what you are after you are going to buy a fish under the wrong name, I refuse to buy there, won't even step foot in the shop no more and the other shop we had closed down as the building was slowly falling a part, they were pretty good there too, so now I'll have to go out of town or go through online services like AquaGreen.

Unfortunately, it happens too often, and still evident in some sites/ Facebook, gumtree etc....

Nice gesture daydream  :thumbsu:

Such a bummer to hear this happen, really makes me so disappointed. Great work sharing the live Jeff, well done!

• 4 months later...

Well this time I got stung.After buying a few thousand $ of Tb ,pure? have tigerbee and pinto bubs mixed in with kk panda rw and rr in 1 drop.Think with the way Im spending money on shrimp of this price you would find people would be honest.Think that its time for me to have a break from purchasing cross breed crap to line the pockets of so called breeders and stick to cherries at least if you get ripped off Its only hundreds not thousands.So for now until the price comes down I will be breeding my lines of cherries and devoting my time and tanks to my lines of rilli.Will not be naming and shaming these people know who they are and should remember you reap what you sow.No wonder the quality of shrimp in this country is on the decline not the incline.

• Like 1

That's disappointing, I hope it wasn't on the for sale forum here? If it was PM so I can take thread down.

Wow that really sucks man. I don't know what to say. Its just a shame what people are willing to do to get money.

I hope the seller is not a member of this forum.

As said wont name and shame some are on here some I don't know if they are or not.1 I am giving benefit of dout to as they were bubs from 1st batch he bought as pure if he is honest and not out for the quick cover my costs.NoGi I don't use the for sale section here so don't know if they do or not.This is starting to turn me back to fish over shrimp as after doing fish for over 20 years Ive never be ripped off to the extent of people in the shrimp side of the hobby.I have always prided myself on the quality of what I breed be it fish or shrimp.But its hard when you cant get pure lines to start with.I can handle buying poor quality stock that is of pure blood and work on it myself to improve the colour or markings,but it seems like there is very little good stock around to stat with.I will add there IS 1 of the 6 people I DELT WITH THAT HAS PROVIDED ME WITH QUALITY AND GAINED MY TRUST.HE IS A MEMBER HERE AND WILL BE THE ONLY 1 I WILL BUY FROM NOW.

Edited by Daydream

Yes it is a shame as have meet some good friends over the years .Just re-inforces buyers do your homework I thought I did but still got stung.1 positive gives me 10+more cherry tanks.

• HOF Member

It is a real shame the way things are going at the moment. I have noticed so many ads that say pure TB and then further down the ad it mentions pinto lines or Mischling mother. People new to the hobby can only go by what they are told and don't necessarily know that this breeding isn't pure bred. A lot of the shrimp sold on the auction sites are not pure but you really need to read the full ad to find out. There are so many " experts" on Facebook shrimp sites that people follow and hang on their every word but when you see their stock you realise they really don't know what they are talking about. It's very very sad that the hobby is taking this turn.

But even the cherry lines are getting blurred now with the quality of some Rili types being cull grade yet being sold as good Rili.

• Like 1

Is this something that can be resolved through a poster to educate newcomers? I'm currently in the middle of refreshing the SKF posters based on the new logo so wouldn’t take much to get another poster or 2 added.

As far as Im concerned a cull is a cull not to be sold.If people would sell quality instead of culls The buyers would breed quality and improve the quality of shrimp in this country instead of destroying the bloodlines we have here.I am by no means a expert but not a newbie either.And yes it is sad as I have lost a lot of love of the shrimp side of the hobby.

• Like 1

Very hard to make a poster to show what the bloodline is as the shrimp I bought looked 100% tb and threw 20% mishling 70%tb and 10% tigerbee bloodlines don't go just on markings.You also don't know what you have bought til you have a few batches of bubs. By then its to late months have past time effort and ongoing cost.

• HOF Member

As far as Im concerned a cull is a cull not to be sold.If people would sell quality instead of culls The buyers would breed quality and improve the quality of shrimp in this country instead of destroying the bloodlines we have here.I am by no means a expert but not a newbie either.And yes it is sad as I have lost a lot of love of the shrimp side of the hobby.

I so fully agree Daydream. When I first came in to shrimp I was giving away my culls- which by today standards weren't culls!- now I have a cull tank and pond and that's where they go. I know there are different definitions of culls being bandied around but it does make it very hard for new comers to learn to recognise what true shrimp types look like. There are a lot of new names now for shrimp that in the past were culls and I have been told I need to move on and accept it but it does put a downer on it all.

I rarely sell my shrimp now as most of them are crosses due to the programs I am doing for my own satisfaction. I have pure CRS -not PRL- just CRS that have only been in a tank with CRS for 2 years now -no CBS in there and not throwing any goldens and some pure CBS. But  I mostly keep Mischling and Tibee lines as I never could afford to buy the pure Taiwan Bees and now that I can afford to get some I don't really know who to go to anymore so I just stick to my own lines- no disappointment that way!

I hope you stick with your Cherry lines because you had some beautiful shrimp and it would be very sad  for us to lose your knowledge. 

If not the poster, surely we have enough knowledge here on SKF to put together an information page for people to refer to? Maybe questions for buyers to ask, encourage sellers to post lineage info with the sale? I have limited knowledge outside of the cherry shrimp so a little out of my depth here.

• Like 1

Well lets clearly describe what a cull is along with what shrimp grades are outside of culls. We are the largest shrimp forum in the world now with a ton of experienced breeders here. It's an opportunity to do right by our members by putting out correct information which hopefully spreads into the FB world.

I know what I call a cull isn't a cull by many others. But these days I just squish them and feed them back to the shrimp as I don't have any other tanks or ponds to throw them in.

• Like 2

I so fully agree Daydream. When I first came in to shrimp I was giving away my culls- which by today standards weren't culls!- now I have a cull tank and pond and that's where they go. I know there are different definitions of culls being bandied around but it does make it very hard for new comers to learn to recognise what true shrimp types look like. There are a lot of new names now for shrimp that in the past were culls and I have been told I need to move on and accept it but it does put a downer on it all.

I rarely sell my shrimp now as most of them are crosses due to the programs I am doing for my own satisfaction. I have pure CRS -not PRL- just CRS that have only been in a tank with CRS for 2 years now -no CBS in there and not throwing any goldens and some pure CBS. But  I mostly keep Mischling and Tibee lines as I never could afford to buy the pure Taiwan Bees and now that I can afford to get some I don't really know who to go to anymore so I just stick to my own lines- no disappointment that way!

I hope you stick with your Cherry lines because you had some beautiful shrimp and it would be very sad  for us to lose your knowledge. 

Don't worry ineke still have my lines of cherries and cbs crs that are still pure as they were 5+years ago the joy of separate tanks not system .Have my orange cherry breed from my reds breeding 100% orange but only 40% high grade still work to do.These orange have provided me with orange rilli that breed100% orang but only 20-30% rilli.Greens are a pain as well as yellow rilli but still improve each generation putting bubs back over parents.Have even got carbon rilli poping out of 2 diff bloodlines 1 from blue rilli shrimp 1 from my black cherry.And my blues from black now breed 80% blue but only 60% quality.When I learn to post picks properly I will start being more active again.

• Like 3

• HOF Member

Nogi it's very hard to define culls with all the new names made for them -it used to be quite easy to define what a Rili was but the lines seem to be blurred now. It is also very hard to describe what say a Mischling should look like. I have CBS Mischlings that would pass for SSS grade CBS - their quality is really good BUT I know there is Mischling in that line as at one stage when I was having all the losses in my shrimp room I had to put most of my shrimp into 3 tanks instead of the 10 they had been in. Most of them were of such good quality I could no longer tell them apart from my pure CBS and now  8 months on my ?CBS ? F8 Mischlings are giving me TBMM. So if I can't tell my own stock apart -well some do look lower grade and are probably Mischling- how can a beginner know unless the seller is 100% sure of their stock and 100% reliable? The same goes when speaking to breeders locally -I have been talking about their pure TB and suddenly as if it is a great thing to have they say oh by the way you will probably get some Pintos from that line ??????? As much as I love my Tibees and Mischlings and I will continue to breed them -I think they have become a bit of a blight on the shrimp scene. If Mischlings had been kept and used for what they were intended- carrying TB lines to help improve our chances of TBM when pure TB used to be so expensive then it wouldn't have gotten so bad but now it's very hard to tell who is what.

Then the other side is if people hadn't done the experimentation we wouldn't have the nice Pintos etc that are now available and as a shrimp in it's own right the Pintos are indeed a very nice shrimp -if that is what you were after. I guess that is why I keep getting told to move on and accept the hybrids for what they -hang the problem of not being able to get PURE breeds of shrimp.

This is a very hard subject to make clear cut because of so many differing opinions of the breeders out there. It was so much easier when TB were KK, Panda and Bluebolt- now we have all the different patterns to contend with as well. Good luck sorting this one out- I don't think there are enough STRONG people to put a line in the sand and define what course we should be following.

I wish I was strong enough to throw out most of my shrimp  -several thousand of them- and start again from pure lines. 

• Like 1

wow.. now Im just beginning to appreciate the simplicity of cherry shrimp lines lol

• Like 1