wot_fan's 1st shrimp tank

wot_fan

I thought I would share my experience setting up my first shrimp tank.  My hope is that it may help other newbies as well as provide a tank history for those that are willing to help me with the problems that I undoubtedly will have.  I have spent a lot of time reading threads here so hopefully there won’t be too many mis-steps.  

My plan is to establish a healthy colony of red rilis.  Assuming I can manage that, I would then like to try a more difficult shrimp.  I tried to setup a tank that would give me options down the road.

My Tank Setup
Tank: 20 Gallon High
Substrate: ADA Amazonian 
Heater: Eheim 100W Heater
HOB Filter: 2 x AquaClear 50 Filter
Sponge Filter: Jardin Dual
Lights: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus 24"
Digital Thermometer: General Tools AQ150 Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Day 0 12/28
I sprinkled Benibachi Mineral Powder and Bee Max over the bottom of the tank.  I then carefully added the Aquasoil on top.  Finally, I filled the tank with RO water.

I ran the water into a cup that rested in a large petri dish so as the tank filled the substrate was disturbed as little as possible.  Even with this precaution the tank was pretty cloudy.

Day_0.jpg

Day 1 12/29
The tank cleared up quite a bit by the next day.  I checked the WPs and did an 90% water change using RO water with SS GH+ in it to raise the TDS to 160ppm.

Water parameter before WC
TDS: 58ppm
Temp: 78.4°F
GH: 2
KH: 0-1
Ammonia: 4.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

Day_1.jpg

Day 2 12/30
I forgot to plug the heater back in after yesterday’s WC so the tank got colder than it was supposed to.  No harm done this early in the process.  The digital thermometer I have has temp alarms so once I set it up, I should catch this type of problem if it happens again.

I checked the WPs and added a few plant clippings from my 65G community tank.  I did a 60% WC using RO water with SS GH+ in it to raise the TDS to 160ppm.

TDS: 130ppm
Temp: 69.4°F
GH: 6
Ammonia: 4.0ppm

Day_2.jpg

Day 3 12/31

I added a piece of spider wood as well as several pieces of cholla wood to the tank.  They are slowly becoming water logged.  Hopefully they will all sink by tomorrow.

I received some mini pellia moss in the mail today.  I placed some of it on a rock and some on a piece of cholla wood. I then wrapped them in fishing line.  This is my first attempt with anything but java moss.  Hopefully I will have some luck it and the other mosses I have on the way.

I checked the WPs and did a 50% WC using RO water with SS GH+ in it to raise the TDS to 160ppm.

TDS: 137ppm
Temp: 77.7°F
GH: 7
Ammonia: 2.0ppm

Day_3_Moss.jpg
Day_3_Moss_1.jpg

That's where the tank stands as of today.  I should be getting some more moss in the mail Friday so I will probably post an update then. 

I would appreciate hearing any comments or suggestions you might have.  Thanks.
  • Like 2

Very nice set up your shrimp will enjoy it. Looking forward to future updates.

• Like 1

What a difference from day one to day two.

This setup has come along way in just a few days. Look forward to seeing it develop!!

Thanks for sharing this all important stage with us!

• Like 1

Nice work, cholla will bleed tenins in your tank. I've got a couple for mine but currently leeching it out in a bucket before I put into mine. Won't do any harm to your setup but you may notice a slight brown tinge to the water colour.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.

Day 4 1/1

Most of the wood sunk overnight, though none of it is completely waterlogged yet.  I did a 50% WC using RO water with SS GH+ in it to raise the TDS to 160ppm.  I added a few more plant clippings and I rearranged the tank a little.  Finally, I squeezed one of the sponges from my community tank's canister filter into the tank in an attempt to seed the tank with bacteria.

As always, I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

TDS: 123ppm
Temp: 78.4°F
Ammonia: 1.0ppm

Day_4.jpg

Looking good.

The ammonia levels are coming down. Seeding with bacteria from the other tank will definitely help in reducing the cycle time.

Just remember to wait till ammonia is down to zero before adding any livestock.

You might want to add a mesh pre filter to those filter intake though. Otherwise, your shrimps will be sucked into the filter and it's impeller.

You might also want to poke the substrate to get rid of any air bubbles. There are always air bubbles trapped in new substrate.

Apart from that, everything else looks good, and you are on the way to a newly cycled tank.

• Like 1

I received some flame and anchor moss in the mail today.  It wasn't labeled so I hope I guessed correctly on which one was the flame moss :D.  I attached some of each moss to the spider wood.  I also attached some of each to pieces of tile.

The mini pellia moss I added earlier doesn't look good.  Hopefully it didn't get too cold on the trip to me and will come back.  

I did a 50% WC using RO water with SS GH+ in it to raise the TDS to 165ppm.

TDS: 155ppm
Temp: 78.1°F
GH: 8
Ammonia: 0.5ppm

Looking good.
The ammonia levels are coming down. Seeding with bacteria from the other tank will definitely help in reducing the cycle time.
Just remember to wait till ammonia is down to zero before adding any livestock.

Thanks.  I think the ADA substrate is almost done leeching ammonia.  Once it does, I plan on adding ammonia to make sure the tank has finished cycling.  From what I have read, once the tank can process 1ppm of Ammonia in 24hours it should be ready for shrimp.

You might want to add a mesh pre filter to those filter intake though. Otherwise, your shrimps will be sucked into the filter and it's impeller.

You might also want to poke the substrate to get rid of any air bubbles. There are always air bubbles trapped in new substrate.

Apart from that, everything else looks good, and you are on the way to a newly cycled tank.

I plan on adding sponge filters on the intakes of the HOBs.  That should keep the shrimp out, shouldn't it?  

I saw a DIY video on a thread here (I think) showing how to make your own SS pre-filter with a little mesh and heat shrink.  I could make a couple of them if that is a better option for a shrimp tank than a sponge filter.

I poked around the substrate and released the trapped air.  Thanks for the tip.

Day5.jpg

Hi wot_fan,

ADA AS has 2 stages where it releases massive amount of ammonium and organics. First is when it is first water logged, second is about 1 month later after the grain are totally soak and loosen.

As such, don't be deceived by the test reading saying 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite will be safe for shrimp. The best way to gauge this is by observing the critters's population and activity. When you see their population bloom and increased in activity, that means the first stage one completed. After awhile, their population will decrease tremendously. This signify the start of stage 2. During this stage 2, perform regular 20 to 40% water change. Once you see the population and activity of the critters bounce back, then it is the almost time for stage 2 to complete. After that, perform approximately 80% water change (drain the water until 4cm above the highest point of the substrate). Let the water run for 48 hours before adding in the shrimp.

If you want to speed up the leeching of ammonium and organics, use mild alkaline water. Approximately pH 7.6 or 4dKH.

• Like 2

I plan on adding sponge filters on the intakes of the HOBs.  That should keep the shrimp out, shouldn't it?  

I saw a DIY video on a thread here (I think) showing how to make your own SS pre-filter with a little mesh and heat shrink.  I could make a couple of them if that is a better option for a shrimp tank than a sponge filter.

I poked around the substrate and released the trapped air.  Thanks for the tip.

Sponge filter will work. So will the mesh prefilters. The choice is purely aesthetics. One looks nicer than the other.

• Like 1

@Shrimpy Daddy

I didn't realize that ADA AS released ammonia and organics a second time.  Thanks for the info. 

As far as I know I don't have any critters in the tank yet.  I will keep checking my WP daily and wait until the second ammonia spike is finished.  Will the ADA leech enough ammonia in between the spikes to prevent the cycle from stalling?  Or should I add some ammonia to keep the bacteria multiplying?

@jayc

Thanks for the info.  The sponge filters should be in today's mail.  I'll start with them and work on getting some mesh to make some pre-filters.  

Edited by wot_fan

Your tanks looking great and I look forward to seeing your updates.

I used ADA Amazonia in my last tank and it took about 6 weeks to stop releasing ammonia.

• Like 1

@Jenbenwren

Thanks.  I am anxious to get shrimp but I will be happy if my tank is fully cycled at the 6 week mark.  I have read several posts on different forums by people whose cycles aren't finished at the 2 and even 3 month mark. 

Day 6 1/3

The gentleman I bought the moss from sent a lot more than I was expecting.  I put the extra on tiles. Depending on how it grows in this tank, it may be temporary.  I also added sponge filters on the intakes of the HOBs.

I noticed that there is something white and fluffy on the spider wood.  Based on what I have read, this is not uncommon.  It is a fungus that will die off on its own as it is outcompeted by bacteria.  You can see it in the second picture below.  Am I correct that this is nothing to worry about?

Other than that, not much has changed.  I did another 50% water change.

TDS: 140ppm
Temp: 78.1°F
PH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0.5ppm

Day_6.jpg
Day_6b.jpg
Edited by wot_fan
  • Like 1

Day 7 1/4

The tank has been set up for a week now.  The white stuff on the spider wood is getting worse.  If this continues, I am going to try to clean it off.

I did another 50% water change.

Below is a summary for the week. I tested for Nitrates today to see if the AS was leeching any into the water column.

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Edited by wot_fan

The issue with using sponge filters over your filter intake is it will clog up a lot quicker so if your not aware of it then it will greatly restrict your canisters flow rate. Then your going to have to be putting your hands in your tank alot more to remove it and clean it leaving it the intake open in the process.

Personally i would recommend going for the SS Mesh cover you wont regret it, i used to do the sponge method and would never go back for the above reason.

• Like 2

Both methods have their pros and cons.

Sponge is easier to clean by just wringing and rinsing in clean water, even if it clogs quicker.

I used aqua scaping thongs to slide it off the filter intake, minimising hands in the tank.

• Like 1

Great looking tank wot fan. Some good advice coming together in this thread. 

For the sake of clarity for readers and since nobody else has said it, I will. Cycled ammonia will show up as nitrite on your tests - right now the ammonia level has only dropped because of the regular large water changes. I wouldn't expect to see the ammonia level reduced to 0 due to biological cycling for 3-4 weeks. By 6 weeks you might hope for the nitrite to be reducing to nitrate too. Adding bacteria from another tank can help speed things up if the water conditions match closely, but at a week in it's made no difference yet. 

On the one hand, your regular 50% water changes probably help to leach organics from the substrate faster. On the other, they're probably slowing down the total cycle time by reducing the ammonia concentration. 

Your shrimp will eat that stuff from the wood once they go in. I wouldn't disturb it. 

• Like 2

Good advice Kizshrimp.

Wot Fan, you can also turn up the heat to 80degF as well. Bacterial multiply faster the warmer it is.

Can you get your hands on a pack of Mosura BT-9?

• Like 1

Day 8 1/5

The ammonia level has dropped to 0.25ppm.  It appears that the AS has finished leeching ammonia for now so I didn't do a WC today.  Should I add ammonia or just leave things alone?

As you can see in the second picture, the white stuff on the wood is growing.  I am glad it isn't a problem.

Water parameters

TDS: 158ppm
Temp: 78.6°F
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Day_8.jpg

Day_8b.jpg

Great looking tank wot fan. Some good advice coming together in this thread. 

For the sake of clarity for readers and since nobody else has said it, I will. Cycled ammonia will show up as nitrite on your tests - right now the ammonia level has only dropped because of the regular large water changes. I wouldn't expect to see the ammonia level reduced to 0 due to biological cycling for 3-4 weeks. By 6 weeks you might hope for the nitrite to be reducing to nitrate too. Adding bacteria from another tank can help speed things up if the water conditions match closely, but at a week in it's made no difference yet. 

On the one hand, your regular 50% water changes probably help to leach organics from the substrate faster. On the other, they're probably slowing down the total cycle time by reducing the ammonia concentration. 

Your shrimp will eat that stuff from the wood once they go in. I wouldn't disturb it. 

Thank you.  It is good to have confirmation that the stuff on the wood won't do any harm.  It is pretty unsightly though.

The issue with using sponge filters over your filter intake is it will clog up a lot quicker so if your not aware of it then it will greatly restrict your canisters flow rate. Then your going to have to be putting your hands in your tank alot more to remove it and clean it leaving it the intake open in the process.

Personally i would recommend going for the SS Mesh cover you wont regret it, i used to do the sponge method and would never go back for the above reason.

Thanks for the comment.  I hadn't thought about how much my hands would be in the tank maintaining the sponge filters.  I thought the sponge filter would be better than a screen because it provides another place for bacteria to grow as well as giving the shrimp a second chance at food that would otherwise have ended up in the filter. 

I think I'll purchase the mesh to make pre-filters.  The less I have my hands in the tank water the better.

Both methods have their pros and cons.

Sponge is easier to clean by just wringing and rinsing in clean water, even if it clogs quicker.

I used aqua scaping thongs to slide it off the filter intake, minimising hands in the tank.

Thanks for the comment.  The thongs are a good idea.  If I am unhappy with the way the mesh pre-filters turn out, I will use that tip.

Good advice Kizshrimp.

Wot Fan, you can also turn up the heat to 80degF as well. Bacterial multiply faster the warmer it is.

Can you get your hands on a pack of Mosura BT-9?

Will the moss be OK at higher temp?  If so, I'll turn up the heater. I am up for just about anything that will make the tank cycle more quickly.

I found Mosura BT-9 on eBay.  I ordered some and should have it in about a week.  How much and when should it be used?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

Will the moss be OK at higher temp?  If so, I'll turn up the heater. I am up for just about anything that will make the tank cycle more quickly.

I found Mosura BT-9 on eBay.  I ordered some and should have it in about a week.  How much and when should it be used?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

Moss will be okay with that temp.

The BT9 packaging will have written instructions.

• Like 1

Moss will be okay with that temp.

The BT9 packaging will have written instructions.

Ok, great.  I turned the temp up.  Thanks again.

Just don't forget to turn the heat back down after the tank is fully cycled.

73-75degF (23-24degC) will be good for most shrimps.

• Like 1

Day 9 1/6

I just checked the WPs and not much has changed in the last 24 hours so I just topped off with RO water (no WC).  I am still unsure if I should add more ammonia or let things be.  Any advice?

I increased the temp about a degree.  I may turn it up some more but I am going to leave it run for 24 hours and check the min & max readings reported by my digital thermometer before I decide.

Water parameters before top off

TDS: 157ppm
Temp: 79.0°F
PH: 6.2

Thanks keego.

Day 10 1/7

Not much has changed in the last day.  Since the ammonia level is still low, I chose to top off again instead of a WC.  Unless someone here advises me against it, I am going to start adding ammonia once the BT-9 arrives. In the fishless cycle guides I have read they state that the ammonia level should be kept above 1ppm so I'm wondering if I am causing the cycle to stall.  Any advice?

Also, I think I am going to reduce the TDS of my WC water from 160 to 140.  From what I have read, the shrimp prefer a GH of 4-6 and now mine is 7-8.

Water parameters before top off

TDS: 153ppm
Temp: 80.1°F