wot_fan's 1st shrimp tank

wot_fan

I did a large water change.  Afterwards I added some baking soda to raise the PH.  I added half of the recommended dose I found in a thread on another forum.  It may have been too much  though since my PH jumped to 7.4.  Hopefully I haven't killed my otos with such a big jump.  

One change that I have already noticed is the Seachem Ammonia Alert I have in the tank is green (detecting 0.05ppm ammonia).  This is the first time since I added it weeks ago that it has detected any ammonia.  

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that I added purigen to one of the HOBs.

Edited by wot_fan

I have some good news to report.  Not only are my Otos doing fine (in fact I added a 3rd to the tank) but my nitrate readings are above zero (0ppm<nitrate<10ppm). I think I can see the light at the end of this tunnel :D.

I added some more baking soda to keep the PH a little above 7.  The Ammonia Alert stopped detecting ammonia by the time I went to bed.  My liquid test still shows the ammonia at about 1ppm.  I have yet to see any nitrite.  Maybe the stability bacteria I am adding is keeping up with its production?

In this case, don't dose NaHCO3 anymore. 

Before you put in the shrimp, you will need to do a water restart to clear all excess stuffs you added for the past weeks.

• Like 1

In this case, don't dose NaHCO3 anymore. 

Before you put in the shrimp, you will need to do a water restart to clear all excess stuffs you added for the past weeks.

Ok. I'll stop adding NaHCO3.

Is a "water restart" a couple of daily big WCs?  Should I do that now or wait until the ammonia level drops to 0?

Thanks again.  

The tank is making progress.  Here are today's WPs.

TDS: 174

GH: 4 (This has dropped in the last couple of days.  Not sure why.)

KH: <1

PH: 7.0

Temp: 79.0°F

Ammonia: .5ppm

Nitrite: .25ppm

Nitrate: 25ppm

While looking at the tank last night I noticed that the population of tiny white worms (nematodes?) on the glass has increased.  They aren't taking over the tank by any means but I would guess there are 4 times as many of them as the last time I looked.

I have some indian almond leaves.  Is it OK to add them to the tank now or should I wait until I add shrimp?

Where did you get the cholla wood? I've had a few people I've been helping experience the same GH drop & it has been found to be the wood causing it(not sure why). This was with some cheap local wood that wasn't aged properly, I haven't experienced this with the Borneo Wild pieces I have been using & yours look very similar that. In saying that, the U.S. has much better access to the cheaper versions as it is used as Chinchilla food & they are illegal in Aus, they've also been sold as bird pirtches. :thumbsu:

Where did you get the cholla wood? I've had a few people I've been helping experience the same GH drop & it has been found to be the wood causing it(not sure why). This was with some cheap local wood that wasn't aged properly, I haven't experienced this with the Borneo Wild pieces I have been using & yours look very similar that. In saying that, the U.S. has much better access to the cheaper versions as it is used as Chinchilla food & they are illegal in Aus, they've also been sold as bird pirtches. :thumbsu:

Thanks for your comment, Squiggle.

I purchased the cholla wood from a shrimp keeper on another forum.  She has been selling it to members of that forum for a couple of years and has a very good reputation.  My understanding is that she finds the cholla wood herself in the desert and then pressure washes it before selling. 

The cholla wood has been in my tank for a few weeks.  Do you think it could take that long to affect the GH?

Hmmmmm, IME the wood starts to reduce the GH almost straight away, I would still put it in another tank & observe the tank without it in just to be sure.

Hmmmmm, IME the wood starts to reduce the GH almost straight away, I would still put it in another tank & observe the tank without it in just to be sure.

I didn't use all the pieces I purchased from her.  I will try some in another tank.  Thanks.

• Like 1

The tank continues to make progress.  Here are today's WPs.

TDS: 173

GH: 4

PH: 6.8

Temp: 80.6°F

Ammonia: .25ppm

Nitrite: 1.5ppm

Nitrate: 40ppm

• Like 1

Good to see that things have started producing signs, hopefully stability is behind it! 

Thanks.  It is great to finally see progress.  I am sure Stability is helping.  I'll continue to dose Stability twice a day until all the ammonia and nitrites are gone.  Hopefully I will be able to add shrimp soon.

How many shrimp are you planning on adding ? Although they have a small bioload you dont want to put too many to the point it makes your bacteria colony crash 

Nitrate climbing well now! Make sure you keep it under control. Interesting to see the nitrite level rising along with the Nitrate... keep your eye on that too. It's taken time but I think you're nearly there. 

Nitrate climbing well now! Make sure you keep it under control. Interesting to see the nitrite level rising along with the Nitrate... keep your eye on that too. It's taken time but I think you're nearly there. 

I was surprised to see the nitrite and nitrate levels rising at the same time.  My guess is that is due to adding Seachem Stability.  No matter the cause, I am just glad I will be able to add shrimp in the not too distant future :D.

I have started checking the WPs every 12 hours.  What is that max ppm I should let the nitrates get to before a WC?  

I think the nitrites have peaked.  When I tested the WPs last night, the nitrite level had not changed from the test 12 hours before but the ammonia level had dropped and the nitrate level had risen.  I'll know more in about an hour when I test again.  I'll post the results.

How many shrimp are you planning on adding ? Although they have a small bioload you dont want to put too many to the point it makes your bacteria colony crash 

That is a good question.  The guy I want to buy Rilis from sells them in groups of 6 juveniles.  I was planning to buy 2 groups (12 shrimp).  I have read on his reviews that he often includes an extra shrimp with each batch so worst case that would be 14 shrimp.  Is that too many to start with?  Should I just buy 1 group?

It is normal for NO2 and NO3 increase at the same time. Based on my testing recently, the process of NO2 convert to NO3 starts right at the beginning of the cycling stage as opposed to what people thought it happens at the ending stage (provided you are using good bacteria starter culture).

For the NO3, as long as it is not more than 20ppm, it is fine. If you want to grow plant, you will need to keep them above 5ppm. Before you keep shrimp, make sure the NO3 between 5 to 10ppm.

• Like 1

It is normal for NO2 and NO3 increase at the same time. Based on my testing recently, the process of NO2 convert to NO3 starts right at the beginning of the cycling stage as opposed to what people thought it happens at the ending stage (provided you are using good bacteria starter culture).

For the NO3, as long as it is not more than 20ppm, it is fine. If you want to grow plant, you will need to keep them above 5ppm. Before you keep shrimp, make sure the NO3 between 5 to 10ppm.

Thanks for the info. My nitrate level is about 50ppm right now so for the sake of the Otos I am going to do a WC.  I hope it doesn't slow the cycle down too much.

Here are my current WPs

TDS: 152

GH: 4

PH: 6.8

Temp: 79.9°F

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 1.5ppm

Nitrate: 50ppm

As you can see, my nitrite has remained at 1.5ppm.  I wonder if it has peaked or if the purigen is not allowing it to get any higher.  Either way, it is great to see the ammonia level at 0. 

I did about a 60% water change (with RO I water remineralized to 140ppm a couple of days ago).  I also cleaned the HOB media and sponges (with tank water) for the first time since I set the tank up.  Not surprisingly, they were very dirty.

I let the tank settle for about an hour and then checked my WPs.  Here are the new levels.

TDS: 153

GH: 6

PH: 6.6

Temp: 78.8°F

Ammonia: .25ppm

Nitrite: .25ppm

Nitrate: 25ppm

Everything is about where I expected it to be except for the ammonia and the nitrite.  Perhaps the WC caused more ammonia to leach out of the ADA AS?  I have no idea why the nitrite dropped so much though.

I also cleaned the HOB media and sponges (with tank water) for the first time since I set the tank up.  Not surprisingly, they were very dirty.

Cleaning the filter media wasnt necessary this early in the life of the tank. You might have set the bacterial growth back a bit.

+1, the WC would have caused the Nitrate to drop but I think by cleaning the filter you have cleaned out the bacteria & taken two steps backwards with your cycle, hence the Nitrite & Ammonia rising. You shouldn't ever clean your filter till after the cycle has finished.

Cleaning the filter media wasnt necessary this early in the life of the tank. You might have set the bacterial growth back a bit.

+1, the WC would have caused the Nitrate to drop but I think by cleaning the filter you have cleaned out the bacteria & taken two steps backwards with your cycle, hence the Nitrite & Ammonia rising. You shouldn't ever clean your filter till after the cycle has finished.

Thanks for the comments.

I wasn't going to clean them until I looked at the sponges in the HOBs.  They were caked to the point that flow was being reduced.  I figured since I was going to have to clean them before I could add shrimp that I would do it now.  The logic being, better to lose bacteria now then when shrimp were on the way.  I guess I know better now.  Live and learn.  Hopefully I didn't set the tank back too far.

I made another change since my last post.  I had an extra Aquaclear 50 HOB filter so I added it to the tank.  I used MarinePure 1.5" balls cut in half.  I seeded the filter with a little of the media from one of the other HOBs on the tank.

thats the down side to hob filters, i clean my sponges maybe once every 3-4 months and never all at the same time and replace my filter wool in canister about every 6months to avoid impact on the system.